Small soaps for donations

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I read about how someone said places like homeless centers and other such places are in need of soap and that smaller soaps would work out better as often there aren't facilities for storing soap etc so aim for one time use sizes.

I had some leftover batter yesterday and I poured it into my ramekins which got me thinking. What if I used those ketchup containers that you see at fast food joints. Small size and they can have lids. Seems like an easy way to make loads and it would keep them sanitary.

So the ones I made yesterday popped out of the plastic ramekins ( a little soft still) but it made me wonder how well would they cure in the cups? If they would I could just pour some with each batch, let them cure, and then put lids on them and distribute them.

I am a new soapmaker but here in Seattle there are so many homeless, women's shelters, etc that I'd like to be able to help and wonder if my idea is any good or just need to keep thinking.

I of course could make small bars but then the whole how do I package them for distribution in an effective way?
Open to all ideas.

THanks

Wow, great idea! I never thought about using the little sauce cups. I assume you're talking about these (pic below)? If that's what you're talking about I don't see why it wouldn't work. You could try a few just to be sure it works before pouring a large amount. It might also depend on whether you are doing Melt and Pour, Cold Process, or Hot Process.
Also, not sure if this is required or not, but you may have to put little labels with ingredients listed.
upload_2020-3-10_8-9-14.png

Practically speaking, a donation of shampoo or liquid soap might be better. I would try to offer the soaps to groups with longer term residents - women's shelters, food banks, etc.

Deli cups work fine for holding soap. You can actually pop the soap out, cure them and put them back in the cups. I have poured excess batter in deli cups for years. Your best place for purchasing deli cups is from Smart & Final or any restaurant supply.

Homeless always have a place to put them, but the problem is they do not always have access to water. Food Banks usually appreciate the soaps but I know our Food Bank requires them to be labeled.

Many of the homeless have mental health issues tied to substance abuse etc. I know our state/city funded mental health clinics here have an area where they keep things available free of charge to anyone that comes inside. They have chapsticks, feminine products, soaps etc. that might be a good place if there is anything like that in Seattle. Also, food pantries maybe or soup kitchens?

Thanks everyone. Funny I called two shelters to ask how to help by offering soap. Neither called back.
I found the same thing. Check with your local food shelf, or churches and organizations that have food shelf assistance available. As far as using the deli cups, you will need to pop the soap out as soon as you are able to let it cure. I have kept small bits of soap batter poured in them and stored with the lid on to use as soap dough. They stay soft for a very long time.

I found the same thing. Check with your local food shelf, or churches and organizations that have food shelf assistance available. As far as using the deli cups, you will need to pop the soap out as soon as you are able to let it cure. I have kept small bits of soap batter poured in them and stored with the lid on to use as soap dough. They stay soft for a very long time.
If you do not leave the lid on they will cure fine in the deli cups.
If you have a Salvation Army that has housing facilities, some do, they always need toiletries such as soaps, shampoo, toothpaste etc.

Latest posts

Back