small cylinder molds splitting open

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My 2" cylinder imbed molds have been splitting lately. The soap cylinders 2 sides split open in parts and do not unmold in perfect rounds and tend to crack the soap as it opens the mold in areas. I even try to rubberband 3 -4 spots to hold it together before I pour and keep it banded for a few days. The molds are snapped tight together. recipes not very different than what I have used in the past but seems to happen pretty often. Any ideas why? Would love a perfect cylinder that doesn't split open the 2 sides of the mold!

It sounds to me like your soap is overheating and expanding in the mold. Since I don't know what your ingredients are, it is hard to say. You might try putting the soap into the freezer directly after pouring into the mold.

It sounds like one of those silicone column molds like these?

I know they can be purchased from many vendors and the quality & price can vary. I've been tempted by some of the cheaper ones, but always fear inferior quality, so have never got one.

I wonder where, as Ford mentions, where you got yours.

If your recipe has not changed, has anything else? Are you filling them more fully? If not, then, I wonder how old the molds are? Could they have reached their lifespan as far as the closures? If they are still fairly young and have only been used a few times, can you or have you contacted the vendor to ask about this malfunction?

If you purchased from a well-known soapmaking supplier, that would be my next suggestion. I would expect some sort of response, even if not a total replacement, from a reputable supplier, maybe a discount on a replacement at least, especially if they are not very old.

ETA: Oh, I see your recipe has changed. Maybe go back to the other recipe and see if that solves the problem? If it does, then you know it is the recipe and not the mold. Or try lsg's suggestion. Or sit the column mold on a cooling rack to increase air flow on all sides.

Another thing I've seen and not tried (although not sure if it applies in this case) is to keep the mould perfectly vertical the whole time until you unmould. The theory being that as it expands it can more easily expand upwards and relieve strain on the sides. No idea if it works in practice though.

I have a silicone mini column mold. I use a dozen binder clips on the sides, keep it upright, and don't fill all the way.
@Ford, another Karen Carpenter fan here, could listen to that voice for days, even rainy days and Mondays.

Latest posts

Back