Small Batch Single Oil Soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Going to play today and make a 2 lb batch of High Oleic Canola soap and see how it compares to 100% Olive Oil soap. I am going to use dual lye, no vinegar in this batch. At the end of December I poured a 100% Avocado Oil soap and it is just now getting better and a little less gelatinous (snotty :)). But still no lather unless you rub it well on the hands then add more water. After I pick up my oils next week I am going to pour a High Oleic Sunflower batch. Just in the mood of playing before returning to the parents for a month. Also going to pour a tallow/lard combination today.

Last edited:
I'm really curious about this!! Wow! Do you imagine that the sunflower, canola, and avocado will take as long as the OO to cure? How long do that stay in the mold?
I made the Avocado with dual lye and vinegar as water replacement soap with a 1% superfat and 35% lye concentration. I de-molded the next morning and I do think it is going to need at least a 4-6 month cure to cut some of the snotty

I've done a 70% HO sunflower and 30% avocado with dual lye (5% KOH). The bars I have left are just 1 year old. Even at 1 year old, the soap makes a jelly like coating when it's soaked in water, but the jelly doesn't draw out in long gelatinous strands like a high-oleic soap made with all NaOH. I made this soap for wet felting, and the jelly is useful. I appreciate that it's not overly stringy and slimy -- I get a little bit of an "ewwww" feeling when I scrape some of the gel onto my hands and there are those slimy strings running between the soap and my hands. For bath use, it would be pretty similar to a castile -- low creamy suds that need plenty of water and a lot of aeration.

I've done a 70% HO sunflower and 30% avocado with dual lye (5% KOH). The bars I have left are just 1 year old. Even at 1 year old, the soap makes a jelly like coating when it's soaked in water, but the jelly doesn't draw out in long gelatinous strands like a high-oleic soap made with all NaOH. I made this soap for wet felting, and the jelly is useful. I appreciate that it's not overly stringy and slimy -- I get a little bit of an "ewwww" feeling when I scrape some of the gel onto my hands and there are those slimy strings running between the soap and my hands. For bath use, it would be pretty similar to a castile -- low creamy suds that need plenty of water and a lot of aeration.
I was thinking it would be similiar to castile, and that is what I want. I buy very little olive oil but have a few customers that like my long aged castile. Hoping to get similar with the OO. I remember you mentioning the above soap for wet felting, will have to try it. I also just wanted to make soap today with my very limited supplies. Will be restocking Tuesday...Yeah

I'm not a castile connoisseur, so I have no idea if HO sunflower will work as well as olive for you. It's fine for what I use it for, and is not overly drying to my hands, even after hours of being in soapy water. I'm curious to know what you think and what your customers think about a "sunflower castile" for bath use.

I want to add I made this soap with 10% KOH, not 5% as I wrote in my earlier post (I should never speak from memory!) I'd say the soap is acceptably hard, but perhaps a tad softer than if I'd stuck with 5% KOH. I don't have a side-by-side comparison of the same recipe except for the KOH, so take this opinion with a grain of salt.

Not sure if I mentioned it, but I made it a dual lye vinegar soap. It was actually a double test, I have a fragrance, Grapefruit Dreamsicle, that I remember accelerates so I figured good try it in my canola soap. Still took forever to trace, 20 min, which to me is forever. That is with just SB'ing and letting it sit until it decided to get a light trace

i am interested in the resoults of your avocado Vinegar Soap.
Since from the other posts i have found here, Vinegar and Lye are a bad combo ;p

:pTruth

Going to play today and make a 2 lb batch of High Oleic Canola soap and see how it compares to 100% Olive Oil soap. I am going to use dual lye, no vinegar in this batch. At the end of December I poured a 100% Avocado Oil soap and it is just now getting better and a little less gelatinous (snotty :)). But still no lather unless you rub it well on the hands then add more water. After I pick up my oils next week I am going to pour a High Oleic Sunflower batch. Just in the mood of playing before returning to the parents for a month. Also going to pour a tallow/lard combination today.
Why such a big batch?

Very interested in the results, cmzaha! Btw was the avocado dual lye? I’m thinking of trying it but haven’t gotten around to it (preparing for spring fairs).

Yes the avocado was a dual lye vinegar soap. It still lathers comparable to Castile soap at this point but still needs to cure longer. Much longer.... The Canola one is also curing, and is dual lye with vinegar

Last edited:
Back