Small batch of CP soap to go

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BattleGnome

Reaction score
I think I’m overreacting again but I’ve never made such a small batch that I’d like to confirm with everyone.

Olive oil 56.7g
Water 21.9g
KOH 13g
Citric acid 1.5g

I am reasonably comfortable with my scale, it’s a jewelry scale and reads to 0.000. It has also been only 45 minutes. Currently my batter is hover around 78F, it’s mid 70’s inside with low 60’s outside (window open all just measured with my temp gun). After mixing to my initial false emulsion temp read just above 100F. I’ve been mixing for approx 30-45 seconds every few minutes for the past 45, after typing most of this I’m at thin trace trails. I’ve got to make breakfast soon, so I’ll probably leave it for a bit.

Just wanted to ask if my numbers look ok to a more mathematical mind. I’m afraid of getting false trace due to temp/small batch size and worried my citric acid numbers are off. I used DeeAnna’s numbers but the small batch thing worries me a bit

This is essentially soap paste in a lip balm tube. I went a bit high with the CA both for ease of math and measuring (was aiming for 2% but made sure I didn’t go over 3%). We’ve got a family wedding coming up in Greece and I wanted to make sure everyone would have some soap for public bathrooms just in case.

It all seems to have set up fine but is a bit soft, which I expected with only olive. Now I’m just hoping it won’t get too liquidy in the Grecian heat or somebody’s pocket. At least it will be washable

I think this would have been wiser done with more than just OO. I really would be afraid of it melting in the heat. I have done tests with various formulas left in tubes outside in the Louisiana and Texas heat, and even my high lard/tallow really will melt and drain out through both where the top goes on, and the bottom where the twistable part is.

Shoot.

Do you think I could make a lard batch and mix the two while it’s still warm? Thankfully I haven’t labeled or sent anything out yet.

This doesn't address the issue with soap in a tube, but is meant as an alternative, in case you can't make that option work in time.

Have you considered thin soap pieces? I have used a veggie peeler to cut super thin slices and kept them in an "Altoids Smalls" tin, which fits nicely in my pocket

I have considered soap pieces before but I find them unwieldy. I may give it a go as an option to make sure we have something.

I also have several pounds of balanced soap paste in my fridge that I could mix in. I tried softening it and stuffing the tubes first but couldn’t get it soft enough. Anyone have any suggestions to softening soap paste significantly?

Back