SLSA Powder Versus Coarse

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edstewbob

Reaction score
One vendor offers SLSA fine powder or coarse. They describe coarse as having the consistency of salt. Has anyone had experience with using the coarse or know if it is just as effective? I know that many people here recommend using a dust mask when using SLSA and I was thinking this may not be required if using coarse instead of powdered.

Sorry I haven't used coarse but will say to be careful with the fine variety. It goes airborne very easily. I like to measure in my all other powdered ingredients and then add my SLSA. I use a wide whisk to gently incorporate it. That helps weigh the dust down. I wear a mask and turn off all fans until I get my wet ingredients in.

I have used a different surfactant that came in tiny cheeto-looking tubes - sorry the name is escaping me now. It was actually a little worse on the nose/throat tickling. I think the dust that had worn off of its edges was an even finer consistency making it more bothersome even though there was less of it.

ETA: some folks aren't bothered by it at all. My daughter never notices it, but DH quickly retreats from the kitchen when I'm making bath bombs.

I'm thinking it would have something to do with surface area when it comes to the final product. I'm not sure how the 'salt' like crystals would act .. Depends on what your making!!

I've used both the fine and coarse versions. The fine is definitely more airborne and the coarse is much less so. The coarse version seems finer than table salt and more like citric acid but still kinda powdery if that makes sense. I think both are equally effective as far as producing bubbles but it just depends on what texture you want the finished product to have. What are you planning to make with it?

altho this is a reply its a Q...

HELLO!! im very new to this forum and i appreciate being given the opportunity to learn through the experience of others! okay-i found a container full of lauric acid *label also said aka "kortacid",I'm having a difficult time recalling why i even ever bought it and now what little i have found about it isnt really clarifying for me if that would be an optional choice in bath bomb recipe vs sls or slsa-does anyone happen to know anything about this? i found its composition and that its used to produce lather in bar soap etc. it is QUITE course in texture and somewhat sticky-similar to beeswax kinda-so only idea i could think of that may create a finer texture would be running it though the ninja if it dont get all packed into the pitcher but MY Q,is is it even possible to use this as a foaming agent in a bath bomb? ANY THOUGHTS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

Lauric acid could be used to make soap, and it would add bubbles to said soap. As far as bath bombs -- have no idea.

You really need to start a new thread to get better answers. It's never a good idea to ask an unrelated question in an existing thread -- people who might have good answers for you might not ever know about your question since it's buried in this unrelated discussion.

Also, may I gently suggest that you slow down a bit as you're writing? You are likely to get even better advice if you can make it easier for readers to follow your thoughts and clearly understand your questions. Use good punctuation, avoid run-on sentences, break your sentences into short logical paragraphs, and ask clear concise questions.

I think then coarse soaps should just be exclusive to the feets, and only really used on body of you haven’t taken a shower in days n are musty

Latest posts

Back