SLS question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amber123

Reaction score
Does anyone get nervous about using the m&p's with SLS Sodium lauryl sulfate as an ingredient? I know a lot of people look for SLS free soap and was wondering if soapers in general worry as well and for those that sell do people ask about SLS free soap or bring it up?

When I make my own base, I do not use SLS. There are a couple of recipes for homemade bases on the forum that work well and do not contain SLS. I have purchased bases containing SLS in the past. It has never caused a problem for me.

http://goodearthspa.blogspot.com/

i also make my own base, and i only use SLES (not to be mistaken with SLS) for the extra clear one. i don't have a problem so far and my base is not drying to the skin.

I too make my own MP. Not with SLS or other powdered/prilled surfactant.

I don't have any problems with SLS. It is a perfect cleaner; not too mild but, as long as you compensate with Cocomide Betain in your recipe for example, which make the SLS milder, you're good. (You seldom use only one surfactant in a product anyway.)

Some ingredients have a bad name - mostly hear-say or misinterpretation. Just like they say that a lot of coconut oil in a soap would dry out your skin.

Some people are more sensitive than others. For those customers I make products that contain different and milder surfactants.
I like SCI (Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate) a lot!

Have a look here to learn more about surfactants. Susan's blog is fabulous!
And she is a surfactant guru. :D

eta: totally ignored your question - shame on me!
I think any base is good. There is a tendency to leave SLS out of the industrial MP; here (EU) it is hardly available anymore; perhaps still in craftstores.

Last edited:
Over the years I've learned that you will always have that "no-no" ingredient that has gotten a lot of bad press. When you are making things for yourself it really doesn't matter but when you start selling you need to be aware of the publicity surrounding certain ingredients.

First let me just say that you will not change anyone's mind. If someone hates an ingredient - whether it be they personally don't like the sound of it (like lard) or whether it be bad press (like certain types of preservatives) it is usually (because there is always the odd one you can convince to try it) a waste of your breath trying to convince them to try it. Even if you can get them to try it, don't expect when they come to see you again that they will want it. Usually they will want another type without the offending ingredient anyway.

I try to keep a variety of different formulas. Some of my base recipes will use a "no no" ingredient, but I always have at least one alternative available because I like to be ready when someone asks (and they ask often enough that I find it prudent).

This goes for everything I make, from lotions, shampoos, soap and so on.

You can't please all of the people with one recipe.

The answer to the actual question: No I don't worry about SLS but I do make some SLS free products.

Latest posts

Back