SLS in CP/HP soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's getting closer but she doesn't say why. I asked her directly in the thread about cure chemistry:
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/cure-time.35831/page-5#post-809299
The research on handmade artisan soap is woefully sparse. On the other hand, many experienced, knowledgeable soap makers report increases in the mildness of a soap over time. In my professional field of science (marine/ocean/environmental), “best professional judgment” by panels of experts is an accepted method in decision-making for environmental protection (but not human safety, which uses “risk assessment”), when data are lacking, but a decision must be made. I am willing to respect the “voice of experience” when it comes to making soap.

It's like wine making. People say during aging thef "integrate" or become sweeter or less harsh, even when aged in glass or steel. At first it drove me nuts when people said that—fermentation is finished and the flavors are already in the carboy and sealed, how can they change?

It turns out there are a lot of reactions I didn't know about. Tannins and phenols react. Tannins polymerize. Other things agglomerate and drop out of solution. Some mild oxidation occurs. After several months, yeast cells explode and fill the wine with the contents of the cell. There were very good reasons people could taste changes in wine over time.

Not knowing causes still drives me nuts.

(And don't age a wine that's meant to be had fresh. Just enjoy now! The chemical design would be different for aging.)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back