Slower burning after first time

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

md88

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I make my own candles. Here are the specs:

a: Jar - 100ml

See the source image

b: Soy Wax - 75gm used

c: Cotton Wick

image.png.fa05c0d7dc5ff227c3c0b121eecb80b6.png

d: Scented oil (around 15ml)

And facing the below problem now:

1: When I burn the candle first time, the flame is nice and strong.
I used it for around 1 hour first time and it melted the wax till edges. Then i turned it off.

image.png.9f8bd9a42dda48264907deef459fbed8.png image.png.b49ecc30e7b39936c3f84239b0a383b2.png

2: Second time onward, the flame is smaller. I tried burning the candle for an hour, and it burnt with no issue, but obviously with such a low flame tunneling is happening..

image.png.143ef6f89dff7238c5a185219ebfe06d.png image.png.60290a70760397615ea21728ddb4cbdb.png

I feel eventually in 2-3 more burns, the wick will cover under wax, or there will be deep tunnel with too much wax on the side..

Please let me know any solution, suggestion, feedback.

Much appreciated. Thanks!!

So, there seems to be a lot going on here. In the picture with the large flame the flame is going outside the top of the candle. For safety this should not happen.
Also, candles often should not burn all the way to the edge on the first burns if the candle is 2" or deeper. Not sure how deep this is from the picture. But, if the candle did burn all the way to the edges on the first burn but them doesn't reach the edges - 1)the wick is getting clogged - this would be a result of the scent used or 2)it was trimmed and hasn't had enough time to burn. Don't forget the the rule of candle burning is generally to burn 1" per hour (diameter). This is an average as candles obviously burn faster the closer to the wick that they are. It looks like the diameter is at least 2" which means that it should burn for at least 2 hours before making judgements. I think that the flame looks much better in the lower picture.

HTH some :) I gave a lot of info. Let me know if you have questions.
Lyschel

Latest posts

Back