Slow to trace

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPowers

Reaction score
I made a beeswax & honey soap today and was surprised how long it took to get to trace. A nice problem to have in my opinion. I thought it might be worse because of the beeswax but there was only 24 grams so not that much. Is it the combination of oils that caused slow trace? I added fragrance then I split the batter & added TD to one and I still had to go a bit longer to get trace. This would be great for trying more intricate designs. Also I premade my lye/water solution ahead of time and just had to add more water so temp was low and I used a 2:1 water/lye ratio - the first time I've done that. Perhaps all of the above worked towards a slower trace?
I will post a photo after it's cut.

here is the recipe... I made one change - I swapped out 10% of the Palm Oil for Red Palm Oil. Oh, and I forgot to add the honey to my honey soap!!
beexwax & honey.jpg

So I didn't get much in the way of comments on why this recipe was so slow to trace but hopefully it's not a big issue.
I checked yesterday and the soap seemed soft so I didn't try to take it out of the mold. I put it in the refrigerator overnight. It came out of the mold nicely today and it cut nicely as well but there is an oily/greasy feel to it... will that change as it cures? I had a little leftover batter so put it in a small honeycomb mold which I might use as embeds. They seem quite soft... had to be very careful handling them.
Any and all thoughts and comments welcome. TIA

Attachments

• Beeswax 2.jpg
    Beeswax 2.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Beeswax 3.jpg
    Beeswax 3.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Beeswax 4.jpg
    Beeswax 4.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 8
Further to my post above, I had a look at the soap today - 24 hrs later, the bars have some tiny beads of oil seeping out. Not a lot but a few on each side of each bar.

Any ideas?

Beeswax Sweating.jpg

That’s a pretty soap. Based on the recipe, and especially with the beeswax added, I’m surprised that it was slow to trace. Were you soaping at a low temperature? Hand stirring? “Slow” is a relative thing when it comes to soap making, but my recipes with palm tend to move faster than my recipes with lard or lard and tallow

The color is strictly from the Red Palm I used and I love it. Looks like I forgot to mention that I forgot to add the honey! Could be part of the reason it was slower to trace. I'm more concerned with the fact that the soap seems oily and is seeping oil. Hoping a full cure will take care of that but so far no one has come forth with any thoughts as to why that's happening.

Back