Slow Cooker Recipes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I make soups in my crock pot all the time. I start with a bit of oil on the bottom; add mirepoix (chopped onion, celery & peppers) to sauté for a bit; then add other veggies as desired to soften a bit (cabbage, potatoes, whatever one likes in soup); after they are at the desired consistency, add liquid (water or broth if you use it, even a small bit of coffee for flavor). I add spices as I go along: salt, pepper, thyme, etc. using whatever matches the ingredients or 'to taste'. Sometimes I add dried beans or rice; sometimes I add diced tomatoes or tomato puree depending on the desired soup.

If you eat meat, which I don't, you can add meat to the soup as it is cooking; you can sauté meat at the start if desired before adding the additional vegetables. For a chowder, add a bottle of clam juice as well as some diced potatoes and some frozen corn. If you like a fishy soup, add a bit of water drained from a tuna can if you ever make tuna sandwiches. If anyone in your family is vegetarian you can do what I do and keep meat out of the soup until after it is served in the bowl, then add a bit of meat broth and actual meat to the bowl for the meat eaters. Sometimes I add a dollop of gravy for flavor as well.

For a minestrone or other noodle containing soup, add a small handful of dry noodles toward the end so they don't get too soft.

Keep the crock on high at first and turn it down to low before you leave (if you leave). When you get back home (or about 30-60 minutes before eating, give it a stir and turn it back up to high again. Add additional spices to taste; add some freshly chopped onions or other condiments as desired when serving.

I just made a huge list of freezer crock pot meals I got off YouTube. I am going shopping tomorrow, and prepping at least 10 different meals. My husband and I are working crazy hours, and eating out gets expensive. Not to mention high fat and high calorie.

I made some street tacos yesterday. The meat was prepared in the crockpot and it was delicious (with the addition of some salt that isn't in the recipe). The whole meal was make ahead and we both love it.

http://tornadoughalli.com/2017/05/slow-cooker-street-tacos/

My daughter and I found a lot of good slow cooker recipes through Pinterest. It's a good starting point.

I make a ton of 8-hour crockpot recipes - if I don't we tend to eat out. Pinterest is a great resource but you will have to weed through a lot of duplicate recipes.

This is my cooking Pinterest board - hopefully that link works. 90% of my recipes are crockpot related

Some of our go to recipes with ingredients list in the order I add them - most of my seasoning is by sight rather than measurement

Roast beef:
Frozen stew veggies, 2-3lb roast, sprinkle the top of the meat with beef bouillon granules, salt, pepper, garlic, maybe 1-2 cups water. 8ish hours on low

Beef stew:
Same as above except with stew meat. My husband prefers a McCormick sauce packet rather than my mixture, you can optionally add a cornstarch slurry to thicken the sauce

"General Tso's" chicken: a just barely inspired version of the recipe
3-4 chicken breasts, 1/2c each hoisin sauce/rice wine vinegar/soy sauce, at least 1 clove garlic minced (1-2tsp from the jar of minced stuff), maybe a few dashes or oregano

Korean inspired beef:
Stew meat, 1c brown sugar, 1/2c soy sauce, cornstarch slurry to thicken at the end

Country pork ribs:
Ribs, cover with BBQ sauce

Corn:
Wrap each ear individually in foil with a pat of butter and whatever seasonings your family likes. I usually add the ears on top of whatever meat I'm making. You can add a layer of foil between the two if you think things might beget messy.

A general rule of thumb to keep in mind: a 4 hour recipe on high works as an 8 hour recipe on low. It's very easy to adapt back and forth if you don't mind the structural integrity of the meat (especially chicken)

I make a ton of 8-hour crockpot recipes - if I don't we tend to eat out. Pinterest is a great resource but you will have to weed through a lot of duplicate recipes.

This is my cooking Pinterest board - hopefully that link works. 90% of my recipes are crockpot related

Some of our go to recipes with ingredients list in the order I add them - most of my seasoning is by sight rather than measurement

Roast beef:
Frozen stew veggies, 2-3lb roast, sprinkle the top of the meat with beef bouillon granules, salt, pepper, garlic, maybe 1-2 cups water. 8ish hours on low

Beef stew:
Same as above except with stew meat. My husband prefers a McCormick sauce packet rather than my mixture, you can optionally add a cornstarch slurry to thicken the sauce

"General Tso's" chicken: a just barely inspired version of the recipe
3-4 chicken breasts, 1/2c each hoisin sauce/rice wine vinegar/soy sauce, at least 1 clove garlic minced (1-2tsp from the jar of minced stuff), maybe a few dashes or oregano

Korean inspired beef:
Stew meat, 1c brown sugar, 1/2c soy sauce, cornstarch slurry to thicken at the end

Country pork ribs:
Ribs, cover with BBQ sauce

Corn:
Wrap each ear individually in foil with a pat of butter and whatever seasonings your family likes. I usually add the ears on top of whatever meat I'm making. You can add a layer of foil between the two if you think things might beget messy.

A general rule of thumb to keep in mind: a 4 hour recipe on high works as an 8 hour recipe on low. It's very easy to adapt back and forth if you don't mind the structural integrity of the meat (especially chicken)

I may be a weirdo, but adding some Worcestershire sauce to a beef stew can make a difference. But, I use it for a lot of things, chicken included. I also use store bought broth before I use water. More flavor.

Edit: I said broth when i meant stock. It good to make your own stock but since many of us dont have that kind of freezer space or time, store bought is good too.

Last edited:
One of my favorite quick meals is to place chicken breasts in the bottom of the crockpot. Then combine a jar of salsa and a packed of taco or fajita seasoning together. Pour a package of frozen 3 pepper an onions (or fresh cut up) over the chicken then pour the salsa/seasoning over the top. Cook on low 8 hours.

If I use the frozen peppers/onions I always add another package about a 1/2 or so before serving. I strain the majority of the liquid off and then serve with fajita/taco fixings.

One of my favorite quick meals is to place chicken breasts in the bottom of the crockpot. Then combine a jar of salsa and a packed of taco or fajita seasoning together. Pour a package of frozen 3 pepper an onions (or fresh cut up) over the chicken then pour the salsa/seasoning over the top. Cook on low 8 hours.

If I use the frozen peppers/onions I always add another package about a 1/2 or so before serving. I strain the majority of the liquid off and then serve with fajita/taco fixings.

Every time I cook chicken breasts in the crockpot they are DRY DRY DRY. Is there some secret I am missing?

Every time I cook chicken breasts in the crockpot they are DRY DRY DRY. Is there some secret I am missing?

That's about the only chicken I cook in the crockpot. And it can be dry but I always leave a bit of the liquid in the meat. I do shred it which helps.

I agree, except for a whole chicken, it's always dry. My other favorite is putting a turkey breast in the crockpot. I melt a stick of butter, add some herbs and then spread it under the skin (or pour) and then slather the tops with the rest. Always juicy and moist. The key is to not over cook it.

Depending on cooking time the amount of cooking liquid does a lot for keeping things moist. It's just the nature of the cut of meat, most recipes suggest bone in thighs for crockpot cooking.

Science wise, you need a ton of fat for proper low/slow cooking, chicken breasts don't have the amount of fat needed to keep moisture in

Depending on cooking time the amount of cooking liquid does a lot for keeping things moist. It's just the nature of the cut of meat, most recipes suggest bone in thighs for crockpot cooking.

Science wise, you need a ton of fat for proper low/slow cooking, chicken breasts don't have the amount of fat needed to keep moisture in

Gelatin can take the place of fat for the right mouth feel. Gelatin comes from cooking connective tissues for a long time and crock pots are perfect for that. Chicken legs are dynamite in the crock pot because all that cartilage and tendon becomes unctuous gelatin. Legs are really cheap, too.

any recommendations for a chili con carne recipe? i've made 2 batches recently using a pound of chorizo and some sirloin. the usual beans, tomato puree, beef stock, stout beer,cumin and chili powder. i'm not looking for a huge amount of heat, but some complex flavor would be welcome. Mine is a little flat...

any recommendations for a chili con carne recipe? i've made 2 batches recently using a pound of chorizo and some sirloin. the usual beans, tomato puree, beef stock, stout beer,cumin and chili powder. i'm not looking for a huge amount of heat, but some complex flavor would be welcome. Mine is a little flat...

I add a little cocoa powder, coriander (seed), and Worcestershire sauce to mine in addition to your list. Won me the chili cookoff at work two years in a row. :)

I make my own chili seasoning mix. And I make it in large batches, so my recipe is for a lot. Other than the chili powder, all other ingredients are by volume, not weight.

1 9.25 oz box Mc Cormick's chili powder
2 oz regular paprika
2 oz cumin powder
2 oz black pepper
2 oz garlic powder
2 oz onion powder
2 teaspoon cayenne (adjust to taste, can be left out)
2 Tablespoon oregano
2 Tablespoon sugar (not optional, no substitution, you need it to balance out the tomato acid)

No, there's no salt, because I use beef base in my chili, and it is plenty salty enough.

To make the chili, I do the following:

1 1/2 lbs ground meat, browned and drained
14 oz package of your favorite sausage (not andouille, sadly) or leave it out and add more beans
1 med onion, chopped
1/2 med bell pepper, chopped
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1 6 oz can tomato paste
1 cup picante sauce
About 1/3 cup of the above seasoning mix. I start with 1/3 cup, and taste and adjust about halfway through cooking.
1 1/2 teaspoons Tone's Beef Base
1 can red beans, drained OR 1 cup dried red beans, soaked overnight
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed OR 1 cup dried black beans, soaked overnight
Add liquid of your choice as needed for consistency

For crock pot freezer meals, I brown my meat, saute my onion and bell peppers before throwing in the bag, then throw everything else in the bag. I would only used canned beans for the freezer version, as they might not be cooked through otherwise.

If I were you, I would make this on the stove the first time, so you can figure out how you like your seasonings.

Since this came back up, here's the one I made yesterday. (I used a pressure cooker, but it works just as well all day in the slow cooker.)

Easy Pork Verde
This could not be simpler:
Get some pork. I like the "Country Rib" shoulder cut because that's the easiest, but you can use whatever you want if you cut it into big chunks first. Try to use something that's not TOO white, though, because the whiter it is the drier it will be at the end. Arrange the pork around the bottom of the cooker without going much beyond a single layer.

Get a jar of tomatillo salsa verde (I like Herdez.) Add enough salsa to almost cover the meat. If I have more time I'll add some slivered onions and mild peppers (or use frozen!) but it's still great without them. Cook until falling-apart tender. Should be something like 4-5 hours in the slow cooker. Remove the meat and shred. Reduce the left over salsa to a sauce consistency.

Serve street taco style with flour tortillas, cheese and whatever else you want - tomato, avocado, pico, etc. Plus typical Mex sides, chips, crema salad, whatever.

Buying the pre-cut Country ribs, my total prep time for this meal is about 15 minutes, and most of that is shredding lettuce and cheese.

For what it's worth (in case if anyone is wondering why this thread now shows Earlene as being the OP ) I had to delete the original OP because, as it turns out, they were a spammer.

IrishLass :)

Back