SLMI Shampoo Bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mellicious

Reaction score
Hi to all.
I have been making shampoo bars using SCI and SLSA for a while now and am happy with my formulations. I recently ordered Sodium Lauroyl Methyl Isethionate (SLMI) without paying attention to the fact that it can only be dissolved in water 🤦‍♀️.
I have seen that there is a brand name that uses Sodium Lauroyl Methyl Isethionate as their only surfactant in their solid shampoo bars so I know it can be done. I normally use a high dry ingredient and low liquid ingredient formulation so that I am left with a lovely dough like batter that allows me to use moon cake presses to make my shampoo bars. Due to the fact that I only use 4.5% Water, I am clueless as to how to formulate a recipe for this surfactant! Here is the list of ingredients from the branded Shampoo bars so that someone might be able to help me “duplicate” how much solid/liquids to use.

Sodium Lauroyl Methyl Isethionate (Tensioactif issu de la noix de coco),Theobroma Cacao Seed Butter*, Althaea Officinalis Root**, Aqua, Oryza Sativa Bran Oil*, Chamomilla Recutita Flower Powder**, Calendula Officinalis Flower**, Glycerin***

Maybe you don't need to dissolve all of it? Is it a powder? You could try to just wetting it with your water amount, so that it becomes squishable, and then it will dissolve on water contact when you use it.
(But I haven't done that, so.....)

You don't need to dissolve the SLMI but you might need need to grind it.

This Innospec formulation might be of interest to you

Hair, There and Everywhere Shampoo Bar

This solid shampoo (H0058) features a dense, luxurious lather in a sulfate-free formulation with improved foaming properties and feel.

Application: Hair Care

Phase A
Sodium Lauroyl Methyl Isethionate (Iselux Flakes, Innospec)93.5%

Phase B
Cocamidopropyl Betaine3.0%
Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate (Pureact WS Conc., Innospec)2.0%
Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate (Natrlquest E30, Innospec)1.0%
Polyquaternium-7 (Condicare PQ7, Innospec)0.5%
Colorants0.0%
Fragrance (parfum)QS 0.0%
Formula Procedure

In a well-ventilated area, grind A into a fine powder for a smooth bar effect or small chunks for a mottled effect. In a separate beaker, mix B. Add A powder to B and stir well until completely coated. Add to mold and compress at 40-60 psi at RT.

Source (Hair, There and Everywhere Shampoo Bar | CosmeticsAndToiletries.com)

Yeah, if you use Coco Betaine too, you could just make a paste of them. I probably would not try to grind it unless you have a devoted grinder -- and in any case, wear a mask, I've tried inhaling surfactant powder and it's not much fun :)
Good luck!

If you melt your ingredients together, I don't think it should be a problem.
Tried that but it turned out a sticky mess that did not harden.
I think I will try the recipe above and have a look if I can tweak it. Will keep you posted

Hi to all.
I have been making shampoo bars using SCI and SLSA for a while now and am happy with my formulations. I recently ordered Sodium Lauroyl Methyl Isethionate (SLMI) without paying attention to the fact that it can only be dissolved in water 🤦‍♀️.
I have seen that there is a brand name that uses Sodium Lauroyl Methyl Isethionate as their only surfactant in their solid shampoo bars so I know it can be done. I normally use a high dry ingredient and low liquid ingredient formulation so that I am left with a lovely dough like batter that allows me to use moon cake presses to make my shampoo bars. Due to the fact that I only use 4.5% Water, I am clueless as to how to formulate a recipe for this surfactant! Here is the list of ingredients from the branded Shampoo bars so that someone might be able to help me “duplicate” how much solid/liquids to use.

Sodium Lauroyl Methyl Isethionate (Tensioactif issu de la noix de coco),Theobroma Cacao Seed Butter*, Althaea Officinalis Root**, Aqua, Oryza Sativa Bran Oil*, Chamomilla Recutita Flower Powder**, Calendula Officinalis Flower**, Glycerin***

Hi, I know this is an old tread, but I was wondering where did you buy your SLMI, from, and if you were able to use it in your solid bar shampoo.... I’m trading a healtier alternative to sls. Thanks.

Hi, I know this is an old tread, but I was wondering where did you buy your SLMI, from, and if you were able to use it in your solid bar shampoo.... I’m trading a healtier alternative to sls. Thanks.

I tried a few different ways but have not been able to find a way to make a good bar - also, it doesn’t smell very good.
If you are looking for a good substitute for sls I would really recommend slsA and SCI. They are great alternatives

Latest posts

Back