SLES bath bombs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone

so i am just starting out in making bath bombs ( i want to be able to make the ones which foam with colours) and then sell them.

i cant source SLSA without paying rediculous prices however i can get sles in liquid form for around £30 for 2.5l can it be used in liquid form and if so what would be the required amount?

otherwise i have read you can use powdered milk?? to go down the milk route thou surely would be a problem with anyone alergi to milk?

Last edited:
The issue you are going to run into is going to be that if the liquid is too high in the final mix, it is going to activate. The liquid form is also probably quite dilute (so the activity in the final product will be less). I've only ever seen powdered surfactants used in products like this (although I'm preparing to experiment with cocomidopropyl betaine as a co-surfactant in a very small quantity).

The issue you are going to run into is going to be that if the liquid is too high in the final mix, it is going to activate. The liquid form is also probably quite dilute (so the activity in the final product will be less). I've only ever seen powdered surfactants used in products like this (although I'm preparing to experiment with cocomidopropyl betaine as a co-surfactant in a very small quantity).
Iv seen an online recipe with the betaine stuff in did wander i gave in with the slsa and got powder form

Iv seen an online recipe with the betaine stuff in did wander i gave in with the slsa and got powder form

Yes you can use sles. Mix it into the bicarbonate of soda. Let it dry overnight. It doesn’t react. I’ve done it loads and it works just fine

You can buy cocomidopropyl betaine in powder form. I have it. It’s very hard to source from craft supply shops. It’s difficult to work with. Even a few drops can activate the bathbomb. It also makes the bombs very brittle too and doesn’t work particularly well with slsa - foam wise I mean. I found you lose the creamy foam from the slsa. Try it with sodium coco sulphate

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi my name's Nancy and I'm new here and kinda lost lol. I've got a few questions about my bath bombs but I'm not even sure where to post a question. Help lol

Hi my name's Nancy and I'm new here and kinda lost lol. I've got a few questions about my bath bombs but I'm not even sure where to post a question. Help lol

Post in this section you are in, but start a new thread under your name, so it doesn't get mixed up with this persons answers. You can also go back and read what's in this section and see if someones already asked what you need to know or top right hand side there is a search engine you can type in your question and see what pops up.

Post in this section you are in, but start a new thread under your name, so it doesn't get mixed up with this persons answers. You can also go back and read what's in this section and see if someones already asked what you need to know or top right hand side there is a search engine you can type in your question and see what pops up.

Where is new thread button lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Back