Slag or not hot enough?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeus

Reaction score
So I made my first couple of bars tonight, but noticed a slag buildup on the surface unless I continually stirred the pot. Not sure if that's the term used in soap making, but it's what we call impurities that surface when smelting metal. I am using an aluminum melting pot acting as a double boiler in a larger saucepan. Not that it's a big deal being my first batch, but curious of the cause. Is the m&p cooling too fast?

20160214_014605.jpg

It starts to solidify or scab over on the surface while its being heated unless I keep stirring it. Is that normal? I didn't get a picture but I keep stirring it until I get ready to pour.

Zeus I get that as well, initially I tried stirring it back in,which just makes for more bubbles. Now I just lift it off the surface with a skewer....

Melt and pour will form a skin as it is cooling. Did you spritz the tops after pouring? That will get rid of the bubbles. Another thing to know about the base you are using is the melt point temp, overheated mp can wrinkle badly after cooling.

Yes check your temperatures, and spritz the tops with alcohol. You also don't want too much evaporation.

I find M&P surprisingly tricky to do well...

Thank you CT. I was wondering if that happened to anyone else.

Thank you shunt,cmzaha and Seawolfe. What kind of alcohol does everyone use? 70, 91 or denatured? They turned out well other that that. Posted an image on the pic thread.

Zeus I forgot to mention that I got tired of the slag and bought an induction hot plate online....I set it at 140 F and it prevents overheating and it gives me a lot of piece of mind...

Back