Slab or log mold?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unmouton

Reaction score
Which do you think creates prettier bars? It may be the quality of my log mold, but when I make a soap log and cut it, the bars come out a little wonky (because of crooked cuts) and obviously the top has texture, which I don't always like.

I've never had a slab/flat mold, but I'm considering purchasing one. I know you still have to cut your soap in cross sections... but do any of you prefer the look of your soap from one as opposed to the other?

I have found that I have a harder time getting a straight cut on a slab. At least with the log mold I can use a miter box. The slab I've been using is the pink silicone one from WSP. It has indentations but I really think dividers would be the best for a slab.

ETA: I think the slab soaps can be really pretty with a swirl. I tend to always take my soap to a thicker trace so I can do more fun things with the top of the loaf. I think both can be very nice and I like switching it up.

I prefer the bars from my log molds. Do you have miter box for a cleaner cut? I trim some of the tops off...some I don't. I'm trying to decide what I like better. I trim the sides and bottoms on every bar. I keep the shavings and rebatch them. I have a slab mold and I don't like it. The bars are smaller (it has preset cut lines and a blade). I find that if the pour height isn't just right, there's a lot of waste since the bars are out of proportion. I do have silicone brownie pans that I like for milk soap slabs. I can cut those in a way I like now. I think it's important to have the faster cooling slab molds for milk soaps (unless you use fancy molds) and I like the log molds for veggie soaps. I do hot process soaps mostly (cp for milk soaps mostly) and I put some microwave plastic wrap on the top of the log molds and then press it down with a spatula to smooth the tops. There's less waste that way and I don't have to trim much.

I adore my slab mold and only use a log mold for a specific few soaps now, but I use a divider mold so cutting straight bars isn't an issue. Cutting never has been my strong point, heh.

I guess I'm thinking of getting a divider slab mold, you would think I was a six year old if you saw my soap cuts! One more question... if you have a divider mold, insert the dividers before or after? And do the dividers interfere with lining it? Sorry to hijack my own thread :/

I have the best of both worlds in one mold- I have 2 convertable log/slab molds from Diana's Sugar Plum Sundries. They can be used either way. I really love them.

I mostly like to use them in the slab mode, but there are a few of my special soap batches that I like to use in the log mode, such as my honey soaps in which I use bubble wrap as my liner, and my occassional HP batches.

They don't have dividers, but I'm able to do fine without them as long as I have my ruler, long carving knife, and beveler.

IrishLass :)

unmouton said:
I guess I'm thinking of getting a divider slab mold, you would think I was a six year old if you saw my soap cuts! One more question... if you have a divider mold, insert the dividers before or after? And do the dividers interfere with lining it? Sorry to hijack my own thread :/
If you get the SoapHutch divider mold you won't need to line it all. The dividers go in after you pour the soap in.

I'm in love with my custom slab molds with dividers designed by me and handcrafted by my stepfather.

No cutting, no trimming, no waste and I have the size and shape I wanted. The more I use it, the easier it is to remove the soap. Best of all, no lining!

Latest posts

Back