Slab molds height and designs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapDaddy70

Reaction score
I was watching a bunch of You Tube videos from someone named Tellervo and most of his designs were done in a square slab mold and the designs ended up as the face of the bar. My question concerns how slab molds are filled. Since I am new to soap making I have only used a small loaf mold 3.5 x 8 x 2.5 inches. Are there specific slab molds that are meant to have their height filled so that the design is being made as the face of the bar and you would only fill it to a height that matches the thickness of the bar you want? Then there are other slab molds that are meant to be filled to the same 2.5” height of a loaf mold and it just makes multiple loafs?

Those large slab molds are designed generally for creating just what you said. They are used for designing a soap that looks the same on top as it does on bottom and they are usually 11 pounds or bigger. That is a lot of soap.

I recommend that you check out nurturesoap.com and see what a large loaf mold is vs. a slab mold.

If you are new to soap making, I recommend that you work your way up to the larger molds. I have two 7.5lb molds and it produces about eighteen 6oz bars. That is a large bar.

I was watching a bunch of You Tube videos from someone named Tellervo and most of his designs were done in a square slab mold and the designs ended up as the face of the bar. My question concerns how slab molds are filled. Since I am new to soap making I have only used a small loaf mold 3.5 x 8 x 2.5 inches. Are there specific slab molds that are meant to have their height filled so that the design is being made as the face of the bar and you would only fill it to a height that matches the thickness of the bar you want? Then there are other slab molds that are meant to be filled to the same 2.5” height of a loaf mold and it just makes multiple loafs?

Yes, both types exist. Some even have inserts to create the cuts for you. Slab molds come in a very large variety of sizes, should you choose to purchase. Or you can make your own.

Here is one that is a 9-bar slab mold with the inserts: 9 Bar Unfinished Birchwood Mold

The multiple loaf mold style of a slab mold can be as small as a double loaf mold to one that can be cut into 15 or more loaves from one block (then it's really a block mold and not a slab mold). The latter is rather huge and quite heavy. I have a triple loaf slab mold and that's still a lot of soap for me to make all at once.

Here's an example of a triple loaf mold: Pro-Soaper Triple Standard Width Soap Mold With 14-Size Log | Etsy

Here's a example of block mold that will make 15 loaves of 3.5 x 2.5 x 12 inches long: 50 LB BLOCK MOLD SET [50BLOCKSET] - $566.95 : ForCraftsSake.com, Soap Molds, Soap Cutters, Wood Crates, Displays

Yes, both types exist. Some even have inserts to create the cuts for you. Slab molds come in a very large variety of sizes, should you choose to purchase. Or you can make your own.

Here is one that is a 9-bar slab mold with the inserts: 9 Bar Unfinished Birchwood Mold

The multiple loaf mold style of a slab mold can be as small as a double loaf mold to one that can be cut into 15 or more loaves from one block (then it's really a block mold and not a slab mold). The latter is rather huge and quite heavy. I have a triple loaf slab mold and that's still a lot of soap for me to make all at once.

Here's an example of a triple loaf mold: Pro-Soaper Triple Standard Width Soap Mold With 14-Size Log | Etsy

Here's a example of block mold that will make 15 loaves of 3.5 x 2.5 x 12 inches long: 50 LB BLOCK MOLD SET [50BLOCKSET] - $566.95 : ForCraftsSake.com, Soap Molds, Soap Cutters, Wood Crates, Displays
Awesome. Thanks so much for this reply Earlene!!

My slab mold makes 18 bars and can be filled as high or low as I want. My husband prefers that I fill it only to 1” to make guest-sized bars for the hall bath. He likes me to fill it to the top (about 2”) to make larger bars for showering.

It is fun to make designs on the face, or all the way through (like pipe divider swirls). However, because it makes more than I need, I do plan to sell it, along with the grid cutter that comes with it. Then I’ll get a smaller one that still allows me to make fun designs.

Last edited:
Hello, all. I am also looking for a mold that produces a pattern on the face/bottom of the soap similar to this but am having no luck finding something so far. Any ideas where to look?
CB Soaps with patterns.JPG
Corva Bella Soap Molds.jpg

There is no rule that any mold has to be filled to the top. You can even use a loaf mold as a slab mold and just cut the soap horizontally so that the design is the face, instead of like a loaf of bread where the vertical cut side becomes the face of the soap.

Back