Slab mold with lid that fits directly on top of soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rittek

Reaction score
Do any of you have the kind of slab mold where the wooden lid sits directly on top of the soap? I'm thinking of getting one and I like the idea of a smooth top and wondered if this would do the trick.

That's a good idea, I typically pour at a light/medium trace also. With the lid, the person who sells them says to line the lid and then it would go on top but now I am wondering if it would still be hard to remove or otherwise mess up the top of the soap. I've used a shoe box to put over top of my soap before, I may just do something like that again. Thank you!

I have been tempted to buy one of those, but since I usually just use a piece of cardboard over the top of my mold (about the same size as a lid would be, but a bit more so it won't fall inside) it seems a waste of money. Depending on which mold/s I am using, I also cover with a larger upside down cardboard box to hold in the heat when gelling. But I have various molds, so I don't always have enough room in my oven if I CPOP to cover them all with an upside down cardboard box. So the 'fitted' cardboard lid works pretty well for me. If I overfill the mold and worry about getting the lid wet with soap, I simply wrap the cardboard 'lid' in plastic wrap.

I wouldn't recommend a lid right on the soap. You would never get it off. I use box that I cut to fit over my slab mold but I don't pour to the top. If you pour your soap at a thin trace you can get a really smooth top. I do anyway.

I use parchment paper to line my molds and the soap doesn't stick to it. If the poster used it between the soap and mold the lid shouldn't stick.

It the it likely won't be smooth either. I tried plastic wrap and parchment once when I first started and go wrinkles.

I smooth out the batter with my hand once the parchment is on and before I put it in the oven (I cpop most to force a gel). Not perfectly smooth but very close ... Just a bit of planing after and it is good.

I smooth out the batter with my hand once the parchment is on and before I put it in the oven (I cpop most to force a gel). Not perfectly smooth but very close ... Just a bit of planing after and it is good.

This is exactly what I am going for also! And, I just treated myself to a planer!

Latest posts

Back