Slab Mold VS Wire Cutter pros/cons

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amber123

Reaction score
I posted this on a fb forum and only got one person's opinion..and would like some more before I place my order.

I've been using regular silicone loaf molds and cutting by hand but my bars are never perfectly sized by weight or very uniform looking so I need to invest in a wire bar cutter or one of the slab molds. I don't want to buy both right now but think eventually I will end up buying both..just want to know the pros and cons of each (and personal opinions as to why) so I can make my decision for my soap budget next month.

Thanks! :)

I would get the wire cutter first, it has made a Hugh improvement in my bars being uniform. I think it is the best soaping investment that I have made. There are lots of choices now too. If you do purchase the slab mold you will most likely need a log spliter as well. The wire cutter works perfectly on log style soap.

I was thinking of the slab mold with the insert dividers so I won't have to cut but I'm nervous about them sticking..I have never used one. I think I will start with a cheese cutter that someone on here posted about earlier! :) It's only 15$ so maybe I can do that along with the slab mold and dividers! :) haha..I am trying to stay within a budget for my soaps but its so hard :)

definitely a wire cutter. get a single one (instead of a multi) so you can cut different sizes.

Just a tip when using a one slice at a time wire cutter. Place a ruler or a tape measure along the edge of the slicer on your table. That way you'll know how thick you are slicing. If you don't mind marking your cutter that is even better. Use a permanent marker to make your dash marks - and wait until the marks are totally dry before using.

Back