Skin irritations due to handmade soap

Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums

Help Support Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums:

TheGecko

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2019
Messages
2,014
Reaction score
3,243
Location
Oregon
I usually cure my soaps for two months as it is better that way... And in the first 6 months I used 30% coconut oil, 30% palm oil and 30% ricebran oil...
Your recipe is only 90%...what was the other 10%. While Coconut is very water soluble and you used 30%, it still doesn't explain why your soaps only last a week.
 

Nivisoaps

Active Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2020
Messages
34
Reaction score
11
Location
Chennai
Your recipe is only 90%...what was the other 10%. While Coconut is very water soluble and you used 30%, it still doesn't explain why your soaps only last a week.
sorry i missed typing it fully.. it was castor 5%, coconut 30%, palm oil 32%, rice bran 30%, olive pomace 3%..
 

MrsZ

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2021
Messages
534
Reaction score
847
Location
Oklahoma
Wait… are folks using chelators in an effort to avoid soap scum in the tub and shower??? Is there evidence it works with ANY bar soaps?


This may help you, @ScentimentallyYours .
 

Arimara

Supporting Member
Joined
Sep 29, 2015
Messages
3,553
Reaction score
2,746
I'd simplify your recipe and not use any scent until you determine what is going on. Maybe try this, should be long lasting and mild.

50% palm
20% coconut
25% olive or rice bran
5% castor

SF 5%, no other additives.

Also, some people simply can't use lye soap and need a gentle synthetic instead.
I agree with this 100%.
i have recently made a batch with palm 30%, coconut 20%, olive pomace 30% castor 5%, shea butter 15%.
Do let us know how this one turns out. For my area, this would be a pretty solid soap recipe.
 

AliOop

Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Nov 15, 2018
Messages
5,097
Reaction score
8,670
Location
US
For those of you who are asking her about the soaps that dissolved too fast, she has already fixed that issue by reformulating, per this quote from her original post: "I learned to make harder soaps using other additives and by changing oils..."

So the only issue now is the skin irritation. I agree with @Obsidian's recommendation to eliminate ALL essential oils, and also with the other recommendations to lower the coconut oil. If that doesn't resolve the issue, then some allergy testing by a qualified dermatologist would be my strong recommendation.
 

Kcryss

Supporting Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2019
Messages
798
Reaction score
590
Location
Colorado
Castor oil 5% ,cocobutter10% ,coconut 24% grapeseed oil 2%, olive oil 17%, ricebran oil 5%, palm oil 35% ,olive pomace 2%,citric acid 1% sugar 3% . Superfatted 5%, and used 40% lye conc( 70.70 gm of NaOH in 106gm of water)
Is it Palm Oil or Palm Kernel Oil?
 

ScentimentallyYours

Cathy in MA
Supporting Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2017
Messages
97
Reaction score
220
Location
Massachusetts


This may help you, @ScentimentallyYours .
Yes, these articles do answer my question about chelators, especially the first article on chelator limitations. Thank you! I won’t be modifying my soap recipe with citric acid since it won’t prevent soap scum in my hard water.
As for dreaded orange spots and chelators, I use distilled water in my soap recipes and found DOS stems from oils going rancid in the soap.
 
Last edited:

AliOop

Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Nov 15, 2018
Messages
5,097
Reaction score
8,670
Location
US
Yes, these articles do answer my question about chelators. Thank you! I won’t be modifying my soap recipe with citric acid since it won’t prevent soap scum in my hard water.
I don't think you read the correct link. Citric acid absolutely works to prevent soap scum in hard water. You can either add it directly as citric acid, and make the required lye adjustments, or use sodium citrate without a lye adjustment. Read here:

 

MrsZ

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2021
Messages
534
Reaction score
847
Location
Oklahoma
I don't think you read the correct link. Citric acid absolutely works to prevent soap scum in hard water. You can either add it directly as citric acid, and make the required lye adjustments, or use sodium citrate without a lye adjustment. Read here:

My apologies, the link you just posted is the one I thought I was linking to. I shouldn't post as I'm heading out the door.
 

AliOop

Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Nov 15, 2018
Messages
5,097
Reaction score
8,670
Location
US
My apologies, the link you just posted is the one I thought I was linking to. I shouldn't post as I'm heading out the door.
The one link did have the information towards the bottom of the article. I think it's just not being read or digested.
 

AliOop

Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Nov 15, 2018
Messages
5,097
Reaction score
8,670
Location
US
Lemongrass EO is a known skin sensitizer for many people. However, I agree that doing a zap test is first priority, just to be sure the soap isn’t lye-heavy.
 

Nivisoaps

Active Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2020
Messages
34
Reaction score
11
Location
Chennai
Oh is it ! I just made another batch with lemon grass EO.. I just added a table spoon to 500gm of oil.. 😔,
 

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Apr 30, 2016
Messages
8,804
Reaction score
9,905
Location
Western Illinois, USA
Have you used an EO calc or looked at IFRA guidelines for safe usage of essential oils?

If you don't use an Essential Oil Calculator, here is one to try: EO calc. You can mix your blends and it will calculate safe usage for you.
 

Latest posts

Top