skin benefits additives?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i originally learned to make soap because i became disabled with Multiple Chemical Sensitivity MCS, and could not use store bought soaps, shampoo's and laundry detergents. my soap is gifted to people with MCS and Environmental Illness, no scents [especially not EO's !!] and no artificial colors. non the less, everyone i give a bar of my soap to, holds it up to their nose and takes a big whif, despite my claims...go figure
I have a family member that is having issues finding a soap that doesn’t give her issues and I want to make her something all natural that might be easier to use. What do you suggest I can use all be it my not be an additive but as an inhibitor of immune response.

I have a family member that is having issues finding a soap that doesn’t give her issues and I want to make her something all natural that might be easier to use. What do you suggest I can use all be it my not be an additive but as an inhibitor of immune response.
Start by having her provide you with a list of the soaps she had tried, what the issues were to them and then look up the ingredients for each of the soaps. Many commercially produced soap contain at least two of the following: Tallow, Palm Oil, Palm Kernel Oil and Coconut Oil. There are a lot of people who are sensitive to Coconut Oil; larger amounts can be quite drying. Also check to see if there nut-based Butters in the soap: Cocoa Butter, Shea Butter, Mango; I have a customer who is very sensitive to Cocoa and Shea Butters. And check for Lanolin (I know several knitters who can't knit with wool). Also check to see what colorants are in the soap and whether it is scented or not.

Then look at the ones that she has the greatest reactions and start a process of elimination. Originally we thought my customer was allergic to Cocoa Butter, so I gave her a bar of my GMS which doesn't have it, but she still had a reaction. I then gave her a bar of one of my very first soaps that had no butters at all...and she was fine.

I have a family member that is having issues finding a soap that doesn’t give her issues and I want to make her something all natural that might be easier to use. What do you suggest I can use
Hiya! Welcome to SMF. Not knowing your level of soapmaking experience puts us at a disadvantage in recommending soaps to try. That being said, many of us here learned to make handcrafted soap for the same reason... commercial soaps caused issues.

That being said, here are 2 all natural CP recipes that work well for all types of skin, with few exceptions, i.e., allergic to coconut or olive oil or any of the oils we use in soapmaking. It happens but not often.

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/sea...title_only]=1&c[users]=Zany_in_CO&o=relevance
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/zanys-no-slime-castile.72620/HTH (Hope This Helps) :computerbath:

I made 100 % beef tallow dual lye no fragrance no colour cold process soap for a young woman below thirty with very sensitive skin which erupted due to a wide variety of causes. She likes the soap very much claiming her skin feels good after washing with my soap.
no issues with it being 100 tallow? any special instructions? mind explaining dual lye?

Hiya! Welcome to SMF. Not knowing your level of soapmaking experience puts us at a disadvantage in recommending soaps to try. That being said, many of us here learned to make handcrafted soap for the same reason... commercial soaps caused issues.

That being said, here are 2 all natural CP recipes that work well for all types of skin, with few exceptions, i.e., allergic to coconut or olive oil or any of the oils we use in soapmaking. It happens but not often.

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/sea...title_only]=1&c[users]=Zany_in_CO&o=relevance
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/zanys-no-slime-castile.72620/HTH (Hope This Helps) :computerbath:
very new to making but doing a lot of planning.

no issues with it being 100 tallow? any special instructions? mind explaining dual lye?
There is a lot of information here including a good explanation of using dual lye when and why.

Guess what not everyone can use Lye soap. I actually had customers that could not use any type of lye soap including 100% OO soap (Castile). They had to use Syndet bars ie synthetic bars such as some of the m&p bars. Most m&p bases are no longer syndet but made from soap. Years ago most m&p was made from mild surfactants not anymore. So handmade soaps are not the answer for everyone.

I see no ground for major issues with 100 % tallow. It gives a very hard piece of soap that has good lather but not much bubble. To soften it a bit and to increase bubbles I use dual lye recipe. I use Soapmaking Recipe Software & Lye Calculator where I choose Hybrid Soap - using both KOH and NaOH, that is usually called dual lye soap. I use 95 : 5 or 90 : 10 ratio. I superfat at 2 %, not higher, to help bubbles. I also add sugar for the same purpose, and vinegar as a chelator since we have hard water in my region.
Hope this helps. Go for it and see for yourself. And don't forget to report, I'll love to see how it works for you.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back