skin benefits additives?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deafsoaper

Reaction score
Hi,

I was thinking of doing unscented and no chemical/man made colourants soaps and geared more toward skin benefits soap

I know saponification affect additives that may not be present in the final stage when it ready to be used

Are there any additives that can give skin benefits? like charcoal, turmeric, green tea, kaolin clays, french clays etc

I'm not planning to claim the benefits for legal reasons... I remember reading it somewhere, if I claim it on the package it become medical grade

I was thinking of doing unscented and no chemical/man made colourants soaps and geared more toward skin benefits soap
I like the way you think. :thumbs: However, if you plan on selling, more than anything else, fragrance sells! The first thing customers do when choosing a soap is sniff it! (That includes me! LOL) Of course, unscented is best when starting out, due to the expense of adding fragrance, and if that's your personal choice. My sister won't use scented soap.
I know saponification affect additives that may not be present in the final stage when it ready to be used
Actually, while some additives don't survive saponification, many do quite well and that's why they are in there.
Are there any additives that can give skin benefits? like charcoal, turmeric, green tea, kaolin clays, french clays etc
All good choices. However, it begins with formulating the best recipe you can design based on the oils, fats, butters etc. you use.
I'm not planning to claim the benefits for legal reasons... I remember reading it somewhere, if I claim it on the package it become medical grade
Correct. It's always best to make no claims -- drug or cosmetic.

In addition to additives, I add antioxidants ROE (Rosemary Oleoresin Extract) and Vitamin E to every batch to guard against DOS plus they have skin friendly benefits.

I like the way you think. :thumbs: However, if you plan on selling, more than anything else, fragrance sells! The first thing customers do when choosing a soap is sniff it! (That includes me! LOL) Of course, unscented is best when starting out, due to the expense of adding fragrance, and if that's your personal choice. My sister won't use scented soap.

Actually, while some additives don't survive saponification, many do quite well and that's why they are in there.

All good choices. However, it begins with formulating the best recipe you can design based on the oils, fats, butters etc. you use.

In addition to additives, I add antioxidants ROE (Rosemary Oleoresin Extract) and Vitamin E to every batch to guard against DOS plus they have skin friendly benefits.
lol i know...I could do half/half with fragrances and non-scents/colourants soaps

I know a few people in my family and one of them is a cousin that is very "yuppie" like lol.. fashionable and look her best self cosmetic wise. She doesn't use scented soaps or essential oils because she doesn't want those things on her skin or find scents offensive... she is not allergic or anything like that... she love natural stuffs and she know a lot of people who does the same thing as her

Also my sister own a cosmetic spa ... it could be a big hit with her clients using high additive benefits soaps.. all natural, vegan.. get benefits from minerals, vitamins, help with different skin situations etc

how do I know which additive with benefits work out?

Maybe try charcoal and clays to start with? People seem to know them and have an idea already of 'benefits'.
I also make an oat milk and ground oatmeal soap ( I make the oat milk myself). Also I tend to use aloe vera as the water component of my soap. Whilst I make no claims - people will come to their own conclusions, and you can't stop that ;)

Maybe try charcoal and clays to start with? People seem to know them and have an idea already of 'benefits'.
Yes. That. ^^^ Also, stay tuned to this thread. Other members may offer more ideas. For now, you can use google or the SEARCH feature in the upper right corner of this page to learn more about clays and activated charcoal.

Also,
SOURCES FOR NEW SOAP MAKERS

Last edited:
I cannot attest to actual benefit surviving saponification, but commonly sold soaps include;

papaya (some use these to lighten skin - I have no idea if it actually works)

coconut milk (it does enhance bubbles & for some a noticeable luxurious feel to the soap)

certain clays (provides a 'slip' that some like for shaving, while others do not, saying it's hard on razor blades)

lanolin (I like the feel on my skin & always use soap with lanolin when I shave my legs) lanolin is partially saponifiable, and not really an additive because it is listed as an oil in calculators - usage must be kept low

silk (many soapmakers add silk to they lye solution to provide a nice feel - I do, as well)

corn silk (same as above; it is commonly added to cosmetics - I did not notice a great difference between the two)

colloidal oatmeal (soothing? - but I find it exfoliating while many others do not)

jewel weed (itch relief - I actually bought some jewelweed soap & it does feel very nice, not sure if it's all it claims as to itch relief, but I do like the feel of the soap - no long-term itch relief)

beer (adds bubbles, for sure - not sure if people actually expect a benefit; I think they like the idea of beer)

various botanicals infused in oil are used in soaps, such as calendula petals, etc. (often for color enhancement, rather than benefit, but there are many people who expect an herbal benefit when they see it on the label)

The list goes on.

I tried oil infused with rose petals from my garden. I liked the soap, but I probably would have liked it just as well without the infused oil. The fact that it felt nice to me most likely had more to do with knowledge of what was in that particular soap than any actual benefit.

Also my sister own a cosmetic spa ... it could be a big hit with her clients using high additive benefits soaps.. all natural, vegan..
This recipe is perfect for you... but I don't know how experienced you are. ??? You need to a few successful batches under your belt before giving it a go.

Follow the instructions carefully. I recommend the 85% olive oil, 10% coconut oil, 5% castor oil variation that I prefer and use twice daily on my face AM & PM. The lather feels like washing with cold cream and doesn't leave the "tight" feeling associated with facial bars.

ZANY'S NO SLIME CASTILE

ZNSC ON YOU TUBE

After you've made it a few times, you can tweak to your heart's content with each of the additives in Post #1 -- make small 500 gram batches as often as you can. You will be up and running with the best of us in four months time!

This recipe is perfect for you... but I don't know how experienced you are. ??? You need to a few successful batches under your belt before giving it a go.

Follow the instructions carefully. I recommend the 85% olive oil, 10% coconut oil, 5% castor oil variation that I prefer and use twice daily on my face AM & PM. The lather feels like washing with cold cream and doesn't leave the "tight" feeling associated with facial bars.

ZANY'S NO SLIME CASTILE

ZNSC ON YOU TUBE

After you've made it a few times, you can tweak to your heart's content with each of the additives in Post #1 -- make small 500 gram batches as often as you can. You will be up and running with the best of us in four months time!

thats cool...will try it out soon

thinking for unscented/uncolored ... charcoal, pink clay, green clay, purple clay, oatmeal, orange peel, ground coffee, pink himalayan salt, green tea/matcha (maybe) and possibly turmeric (not sure yet)

scented side.. I'm still on the fence about FO vs EO... do FO or EO or mixture ... I know it been opening a bunch cans of worms repeatedly here lol ... FO scents i have seen made me intrigued of what the scent is like even though it man/lab made like the popular black raspberry vanilla for example

what is a good rule of thumb on how many scents or different type of soap minimum to sell?

scented side.. I'm still on the fence about FO vs EO... do FO or EO or mixture
You have two choices:
1) You will get a wider range of responses if this question is asked and answered by a new thread posted in here:
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/forums/aromatherapy-herbs-essential-oils.13/2) This has been discussed many times. Use the Search feature in the top right corner of this page to learn more.
what is a good rule of thumb on how many scents or different type of soap minimum to sell?
DITTO the above. Start a new thread or do a search. In any case, now may not be the best time to cover that issue. Once you have a recipe (or 2 or 3) that delivers every time you make it, then focus on finding fragrances you like.

NOTE: This thread is about Skin Benefits Additives and should continue along those lines. Any other questions are best asked in a new thread.

Also, to save time searching, SMF @Admin/Mods, in their wisdom, have reactivated "Similar Threads" that used to be available. Once you post a new thread on any subject, similar threads appear at at the bottom. :thumbs: How cool is that?!

thinking for unscented/uncolored ... charcoal, pink clay, green clay, purple clay, oatmeal, orange peel, ground coffee, pink himalayan salt, green tea/matcha (maybe) and possibly turmeric (not sure yet)
If you are wanting to use charcoal or clays then it wouldn't be "uncolored" would it?

scented side.. I'm still on the fence about FO vs EO... do FO or EO or mixture ... I know it been opening a bunch cans of worms repeatedly here lol ... FO scents i have seen made me intrigued of what the scent is like even though it man/lab made like the popular black raspberry vanilla for example

FOs can often a much wider range than EOs even if you are blending your own, but who says that you have to choose one or the other? While I mainly use FOs because they are cheaper and there are literally thousands to chose from, I also use a few EOs.

There really isn't one because every soap maker is different, every market is different. I know a gal who makes GMS (goat milk soap)...she sell twelve uncolored scents and that is it; she's been in business for 20 years and does well. Another gal I know, never repeats a scent within the same year, but that is her market niche. Her soaps are a little more spendy because she is buying scent in smaller quantities, but she never has to worry about a scent going out of stock and she doesn't get bored making the same soap all the time. Other soap makers I know have standard lines of soap...soap that is always in stock...and then they have rotating soap based on what is trending, and of course, there are your 'seasonal' soap.

If you are wanting to use charcoal or clays then it wouldn't be "uncolored" would it?

I meant not using colorants that are man/lab made chemicals or doesn't really contribute any skin benefits like indigo for example... it just a blue dye
FOs can often a much wider range than EOs even if you are blending your own, but who says that you have to choose one or the other? While I mainly use FOs because they are cheaper and there are literally thousands to chose from, I also use a few EOs.

there are people out there...who doesn't like having scents on their skin ... want to keep it as natural as possible
There really isn't one because every soap maker is different, every market is different. I know a gal who makes GMS (goat milk soap)...she sell twelve uncolored scents and that is it; she's been in business for 20 years and does well. Another gal I know, never repeats a scent within the same year, but that is her market niche. Her soaps are a little more spendy because she is buying scent in smaller quantities, but she never has to worry about a scent going out of stock and she doesn't get bored making the same soap all the time. Other soap makers I know have standard lines of soap...soap that is always in stock...and then they have rotating soap based on what is trending, and of course, there are your 'seasonal' soap.

I guess I will just have to play it by ear and see how the market unfold... I know from where I live, they like vegan, gluten free, wellness, natural etc

i originally learned to make soap because i became disabled with Multiple Chemical Sensitivity MCS, and could not use store bought soaps, shampoo's and laundry detergents. my soap is gifted to people with MCS and Environmental Illness, no scents [especially not EO's !!] and no artificial colors. non the less, everyone i give a bar of my soap to, holds it up to their nose and takes a big whif, despite my claims...go figure

i originally learned to make soap because i became disabled with Multiple Chemical Sensitivity MCS, and could not use store bought soaps, shampoo's and laundry detergents. my soap is gifted to people with MCS and Environmental Illness, no scents [especially not EO's !!] and no artificial colors. non the less, everyone i give a bar of my soap to, holds it up to their nose and takes a big whif, despite my claims...go figure
I love the smell of unscented soap; maybe they do too.

non the less, everyone i give a bar of my soap to, holds it up to their nose and takes a big whif, despite my claims...go figure
That's because we are conditioned to use that sense. My husband is sensitive to smells and it's chemically driven...which turns out, has nothing to do whether the chemical is natural or artificial. Added to this, every body has it's own unique chemistry which is why something that smells great on one person, can smell bad on another.

And just because something is 'unscented' doesn't mean that it doesn't have a scent on its own, it simply means that no 'scent' (artificial or natural) was added. I make a 'naked' soap...no colorants, no [added] scent and it smells nice.

how much vitamin e oil you used ppo?

Latest posts

Back