Sister making converts at her office

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixiedragon

Reaction score
Funny story -
My sister had a meeting, and one of her co-workers popped open a jar of Carmex, commenting that his lips were sooo dry and chapped. My sister, having been spoiled by my lipbalms for years, commented, "Well, Carmex was made for cold sores. It's supposed to dry your lips." Everybody was flabbergasted. "What should you use instead?" Well, she had a bunch of my lipbalm in her desk, so she gave all of her co-workers a tube. "It's like crack - first hit's free, next one will cost ya." She also had 2 bars of soap that she gave away to the highest ranking people at the table.

Giving away samples is a really good sales tactic. People really do get hooked on a good product. And they tell their friends, too.

OK, I'll buy it. I've been using Nivea lip balm for a few years now and that is the best I've found, but it doesn't last very long. If you've got a stash of lip balms let me know (or PM me your store details?). Thanks.

OK, I'll buy it. I've been using Nivea lip balm for a few years now and that is the best I've found, but it doesn't last very long. If you've got a stash of lip balms let me know (or PM me your store details?). Thanks.

Here's the recipe, it's from www.thesage.com
Saint Patrick's Day Mint Lip Balm
60 grams of beeswax
75 grams shea butter
45 grams cocoa butter
120 grams avocado oil

It makes 60 tubes.

PM me your address and I'll gladly mail you a freebie tube! If you really like it we can discuss a purchase of more. I don't have an online store or anything - I'm small-time hobbyist.

Great story dixiedragon and thank you for the recipe. Finally have some shea butter on hand and was looking for a recipe. Will give it a try.

http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/search?q=castor Castor oil is soluble in alcohol and creates an interesting solubility with beeswax, which is why it is used so much in lipsticks, lip balms, and deodorants. It has a low molecular weight so it penetrates skin easily, and acts as a softening oil. It is a greasy feeling oil with a lot of shine, but can feel sticky (again, this is why it is used so much in lipsticks - it's shiny and it works to keep the oil on your lips and not feathering into fine lines). It is low comedogenic (1 out of 5) and non-irritating. It has acanthotic activity, meaning it can help increase skin thickness.

That's awesome of your sister. I'm pretty sure mine hoards everything I give her. I have never made lip balm before but its that time of year and my go to balm isnt cutting it. Thanks for linking that recipe, I don't believe I've heard of that company/site.

Here's the recipe, it's from www.thesage.com
Saint Patrick's Day Mint Lip Balm
60 grams of beeswax
75 grams shea butter
45 grams cocoa butter
120 grams avocado oil

It makes 60 tubes.

PM me your address and I'll gladly mail you a freebie tube! If you really like it we can discuss a purchase of more. I don't have an online store or anything - I'm small-time hobbyist.

I've always wanted to try making lip balm, most if the otc stuff doesn't work or doesn't last very long. How hard is it to make? And do you have to use the lip tubes? Can you use another container?

ETA Can you flavor it, and what would you use? (Sorry for all the questions, I'm very curious about it)

Last edited:
I've always wanted to try making lip balm, most if the otc stuff doesn't work or doesn't last very long. How hard is it to make? And do you have to use the lip tubes? Can you use another container?

ETA Can you flavor it, and what would you use? (Sorry for all the questions, I'm very curious about it)

Gigi, when I first started making soap my kids asked me about lip balm, etc. I told them "I'm only making soap". Well, after hanging around here for the last 8-9 months, that's out the window. Bath bombs, lip balm, lotion, shave soap ... you name it; it's on the "to do" list.

Anyway, there are plenty of youtube videos on all of it and thesage.com has some starter recipes here:

https://www.thesage.com/recipes/index.html

Hope that helps.

I always have some simple calendula lip balm in my purse, so my office manager comes in complaining about a skin tear that she got on the top of her hand helping her husband with a chore. So I put some calendula on it...I was off the next day and she sends me a photo of the wound, nearly completely healed and says her husband wants a supply. Yesterday my tech comes in with a cold and the tissues we have are making her nose raw...I gave her the last one in my purse (we all know why we keep a supply of more than one with us), By the end of the day her nose, albeit still running, it no longer raw...now everyone wants one...guess I'll make up a batch to add to their holiday soaps.

Lip balm is very very easy. You literally just measure the stuff, melt it in the microwave, and pour it into the containers. The batch I make fits into a 2 cup glass measuring cup.

You don't have to use the tubes - you can use pots, tins, whatever. I prefer tubes b/c I don't like rubbing my fingers all over it, but that's just my preference. Many of the soap vendors all sell tubes. If you want to make lip balm, it is SOOO worth it to buy the lip balm filling tray. BB sells it, so does Majestic Mountain Sage. I'm sure other places do to.

You can flavor it. You can use edible essential oils such as mint, lemongrass and lavender. While lemon and orange EOs are technically edible, they are photo reactive and can cause your lips to sunburn, so I don't use them. You can also buy flavoring oils. Again, many soap vendors sell them. When I make my lip balm with yellow beeswax and prime pressed cocoa butter, it has a mild but very nice sweet/chocolate scent.

I've made what feels like a ton of lip balm over the past years. I've used candy /frosting flavourings in mine with success. I prefer mine own lip balm to be unflavoured, though. If it's flavoured, I keep licking my lips, which doesn't help your lips at all.

Be aware that peppermint e.o., while certainly edible, can be drying. Use it sparingly.

I always have some simple calendula lip balm in my purse...

rparrny...by calendula do you mean you have used infused oils with the petals? All this lip balm talk I gotta try it! Gotta get some containers!

has anyone infused oils with st john's wort? Pick it in may/june. Lovely orange colour and good for the skin also.

Can't speak for Rparny, but I use an infusion of calendula petals in oil. Added to the best of my own beeswax, my lip balm is a pretty lemon yellow. It really does help to soothe and heal cracked lips and sore hangnails. I pour some of this balm mixture into larger lip-balm style containers for general use on the skin -- like a lotion bar.

"...While lemon and orange EOs are technically edible, they are photo reactive and can cause your lips to sunburn, so I don't use them...."

It's a myth that all citrus EOs are phototoxic. SOME are, but not all.

I use mandarin and sweet orange EOs in my lip balm and have not remotely seen a problem with the light dosage of scent that I use.

EOs such as bergamot, bitter orange, cold pressed lemon, and cold pressed lime EOS are definitely phototoxic, so yes I would avoid them for skin use.

Sweet orange, mandarine (both red and green), and tangerine are GRAS (generally recognized as safe). Steam distilled lime and lemon are also considered safe.

More: http://www.aromaweb.com/articles/phototoxicity-essential-oils.asp

Last edited:
thanks for the info susie!! never knew about it's sensitivity to sun. Have been using it for years before even thinking about soaping. We've just used it in the evening on sore muscles at the end of the day......

Last edited:
Back