Sinking Scents

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonCearley

Reaction score
Ok, I'm trying out Lone Star's scents in the Harmony Bled #4630.

I bought about 50 of their scent samples.

I'm going nuts with this stuff. The wax is beautiful, but I am having big trouble with the scent oils settling to the bottom of the jars after the pour.

I followed Lone Star's instructions to pour add color and scent between 160 to 180.

After calling the company, I tried their modified instructions to pour between 185 to 190.

After the wax starts to set up, the oil settles to the bottom, where it actually separates and you can see it is in liquid form.

I'm wasting samples and wax.
I've not had this problem with NG's scents, but I understood Lone Star to be great.
I'm now afraid to even add coloring. With or without, the oild still sinks.
I did try pouring at lower temps too.

Any suggestions?

The dark at the bottom of the jar is not the glass. It's actually the scented oil that sank to the bottom, right through the white wax. When I color the wax, it's difficult to see the problem until the next day. At that time, you can see the oil is still a liquid.

SunkScent2.jpg

SunkScent4.jpg

I am no chandler, but can you remelt & repour candles that don't meet your standards so they are not a total waste?

Tabitha said:
I am no chandler, but can you remelt & repour candles that don't meet your standards so they are not a total waste?

I usually can re-pour.
With this current problem, I dump both jars back in, re-melt, then pour again.
First jar, the scent sinks.
The second jar still has a slight fragrance, but the oil is really in the first jar.

soapbuddy said:
Is it possible that some of their scents are for soaps or B&B only?

Irena

I did assume they sold me soap oil, which if I'm correct would probably remain liquid in wax, since soap oil is supposed to mix with water.
That sounds right, but they assured me the oils were suitable for candles.
Since the samples are only one ounce, I suspect you may be right, and they don't want to admit to it.
The scents are fantastic, but there's no way to know which oil will sink until it's poured.
Some are dark, and I can see laying right on the bottom of the pot, but was told to simply stir a lot longer. Yeah, right. Others are clear, and I can't see them at all until the candles sets up.

Nature Garden's Oils are marked on the one pound bottle "safe for candles and bath products."
I'm about ready to give up and just use these oils in a simmer pot.

Many, many, many fragrances are both candle and soap safe so if it was soap safe, that would not make it unsafe for candles or be the cause of this. Fragrance oils that are not good in wax are usually not good to the extent they don't throw. Some oils are just hard to mix into wax no matter what you do. You can try warming your oil a bit and adding it to the wax at a higher temp to see if that helps.

How much oil are using with how much wax? How long are you stirring to incorporate the fo? What fos are you having issues with?

CPSoaper said:
Many, many, many fragrances are both candle and soap safe so if it was soap safe, that would not make it unsafe for candles or be the cause of this. Fragrance oils that are not good in wax are usually not good to the extent they don't throw. Some oils are just hard to mix into wax no matter what you do. You can try warming your oil a bit and adding it to the wax at a higher temp to see if that helps.

How much oil are using with how much wax? How long are you stirring to incorporate the fo? What fos are you having issues with?

The worst was Sugar Cookie. That stuff was really dark. Coconut Hisbcus smelled so wonderful, but sank through the white wax.
I mix one ounce to a pound, and this wax is supposed to take up to an ounce and a half easy.
I stir until I can't see any traces left of the oil, but then it sinks after being poured.
How long should I stir? It's never been an issue with NG's oils.

I had not thought of heating the oil first because I pour it into the melted wax, at what is supposed to be the right temperature, and I assume the oil will mix properly.

I guess I can try heating the oil, but that seems counterproductive. If I heat it, I'm just burning off the fragrance, I would think.

I'll try it though.

I hate to waste so much scented oil and wax and time used.

On heavy food/vanilla/spice scents I heat my oil before adding to the wax. I also stir with a wisk. Most scents I stir two minutes. On the heavier scents I stir at least 4 minutes. I also find I have to cut down on the amount of oil I use for these heavy scents.

It is the fos you are using. These are very heavy and sugar cookie is notorious for not blending. Warm you fo, stir with a whisk as has been suggested (that is what I use as well), add at a higher temp and make sure you stir long enough or it won't get blended in.

Or maybe your using too much fo for the particular wax you're using. If you don't mind me asking how much fo are you putting in your wax per lb ?

Latest posts

Back