Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atlanta Lily

Reaction score
Hello,
I’ve been making my soaps and have found that the mica I use in one recipe and the poppy seeds in another, have sunk to the bottom of soap (some is suspended but there is definitely more of a collection at the bottom). How do I keep it from falling so much?
Any tips???

Attachments

• D63639E8-F046-4C6C-A923-C45D9CC25AAA.jpeg
    D63639E8-F046-4C6C-A923-C45D9CC25AAA.jpeg
    201.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 0F908856-6123-4015-A6B9-19FB56DCF11C.jpeg
    0F908856-6123-4015-A6B9-19FB56DCF11C.jpeg
    223 KB · Views: 14
Hello,
I’ve been making my soaps and have found that the mica I use in one recipe and the poppy seeds in another, have sunk to the bottom of soap (some is suspended but there is definitely more of a collection at the bottom). How do I keep it from falling so much?
Any tips???
Maybe pour at a thicker trace so they stay suspended?

Super, I’ll try pouring a little cooler. I don’t use a temperature gun or thermometer for mine, just pour it when a thin skin starts to form. Do you recommend using a temperature to pour at @Vicki C @Babyshoes?
Thanks for your replies ☺️

Super, I’ll try pouring a little cooler. I don’t use a temperature gun or thermometer for mine, just pour it when a thin skin starts to form. Do you recommend using a temperature to pour at @Vicki C @Babyshoes?
Thanks for your replies ☺

It's been many years since I did m&p, and I never measured temperature. Just let a slightly thicker skin form!

When I am trying to suspend an additive in m&p I let it thicken up more, stirring occasionally to keep everything distributed. I don't measure the temperature (and the ideal temp will vary depending on your base's melt point anyway) but I use clear glass measuring cups so I can see whether the particles are still settling out or staying put. You might have to experiment a bit, but there should be a point where it's still fairly liquid and pourable but thick enough to suspend.

Back