Single use or sample size bars/rounds?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogueRose

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out the ideal size for a sample size soap, maybe something like what would be used in a hotel.

I've found that 2.5" rounds aren't bad at all for hand soaps and will work as body soaps. 3" rounds are better body soaps, but then they get pretty thin if staying in a certain weight range.

Rectangular soaps, maybe 2.5 x 1.75"? This would allow for a thicker bar than the 2.5" round.

Thicker vs surface area.
-For a one time use, which would be more important for a body soap? (basically I'm comparing the above two options).

For me, it wouldn't matter much. I'm comfortable handling either, and don't seem to use that much soap in the shower.

For my better half, who can use up a 5.5 oz lard CP soap in four days tops, a weight of at least 1.5 ounces would be necessary...and a round would be preferable. Even then, there would be complains about how there was only a sliver left at the end.

In this household, our favorite is the muffin mold. I'd call it inch and a half at the bottom opening to about three at the top. Even at the end, with a remaining round shape of around 2" or so, it works very, very well and both of us like it.

What about the guest size bars? I know Crafter's Choice makes a few different types of molds (loaf and bar) for making guest bars. The bar molds make a soap that is rectangular and about 2 Oz. There are others that make this type of mold too.

Edit: I see you said "single use". Well, you could cut the bars in half and if you got one of the loaf molds that make guest bars, you would have flexibility to cut as thick or thin as you would like.

Last edited:
How about this one? I think it is perfect for trial sized/freebie soaps. I've used it once so far and the soap is about the same size as the hotel soaps. (Cheap hotel, that is!)

image.jpg

Those chocolate mold bars, can you actually hang on to them when using?

I have a daisy mold that makes .75 oz samples and it would take me at least 2 showers to use it up and even then, it would require vigorous scrubbing with a poof.
As far as as shape goes, I would prefer a rectangle about the size of hotel soap. The larger surface area is easier to hang onto and rub your washcloth/poof across.

I cut (regular size bar except thinner) thin slices of soap and then cut into fours. I then place them in a small self sealing bag with my card. I would said its the hotel guest bar size. They look good and it gives clients a few uses...enough to get them hooked. I have a lot of return clients because of the samples that I've given out.:razz:

Man, Morpheus, your partner goes through a bar of soap if 4 days? That seems really, really fast. Does the bar end up sitting in a pool of water after the shower?

No, the soap dish is built into the shower, has those little ridges in it, and has a drain into the shower proper.

Somebody--who shall remain nameless--takes 45 minute showers. Very hot showers.

Sigh. I can get a bar to last for three weeks and I'm hardly dirty at any time. :)

Those chocolate mold bars, can you actually hang on to them when using?

So far, I've only washed my hands with one of them. But, yes, it is actually comfortable to use. I don't think it would be a problem in the shower. It fits in my palm, so I could use it just as is, or I could lather a pouf with it. I think it would be hard to lather a wash cloth, though.

Hopefully you average out on the hot water bill, Morph :) And at least you don't have to worry about having plenty of soap around.

Also, why Morpheus? I keep trying to figure out the mythic/soapy thing.

Last edited:
I bought a guest mold just for samples. I've also received soap balls as samples when ordering from other handcrafters.

Back