Single oil soap experiment

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think we all would agree with you about single-oil soaps. What Shawnee has done helps her, and us, understand the characteristics different oils bring to soap. It helps us better understand how to mix oils for a better outcome.

Last edited:
Based on Shawnee's experiment, I bought some peanut oil at Kroger...(on sale for $.17/ounce). What' the max you'd recommend as a % of the entire recipe...other oils will definitely be olive, palm, coconut, gv shortening. Do you think peanut can replace castor for lather?

Shawnee, thank you so much for including peanut oil in your experiment. I requested it because I Have been using it in liquid soap. I am so glad the CP version is interesting as well.

DWinMadison, I asked for peanut because we have switched to peanut oil for deep frying. I recycle my deep frying oil and make it into utility liquid soap for laundry, or dishes (different formulas but all use some recycled oil). DH does the laundry and he told me that he needs to use less of the peanut-coconut liquid soap to get a load clean. This is compared to coconut-soy, and to coconut-olive. All these oils have low stearic acid in their fatty acid composition, so they are good for liquid soap (soap stays clear).

So long answer and no answer. I have only used it in liquid soap in an effort to recycle the oil. I have made CP soap out of recycled oil but I rather not go that route in my business at the moment. If I was to use pristine peanut oil in CP I would replace the olive on my bastille recipe, to have enough of the peanut to tell the effect on the soap. I entered into soapCalc and this puts the linoleic a little higher than i would like. I would use ROE or mix in a little olive and decrease the total peanut %. 50% peanut seems like a safe amount, if you do not add oils high in linoleic and/or linolenic.

Let's see if anyone who has used it in a CP recipe chimes in.

I don't use Peanut Oil in my formulas, so I can't say from experience how much would give the lather benefit...I would start with 20% and build on that. Since the test is still underway, I don't know how well it holds up to rancidity/DOS. I should mention I do have a Kinetico water softener, so that does contribute to some of my lather results, though I will admit, I'm not sure to what extent.
Here's a picture of Peanut lather:

image.jpg

I don't use Peanut Oil in my formulas, so I can't say from experience how much would give the lather benefit...I would start with 20% and build on that. Since the test is still underway, I don't know how well it holds up to rancidity/DOS. I should mention I do have a Kinetico water softener, so that does contribute to some of my lather results, though I will admit, I'm not sure to what extent.
Here's a picture of Peanut lather:

So maybe...?
20% olive
20% palm
20% coconut
20% GV shortening
15% peanut
5% Castor

So maybe...?
20% olive
20% palm
20% coconut
20% GV shortening
15% peanut
5% Castor

Well, your values all fall right down the middle on SoapCalc, so it's a pretty balanced recipe. I don't use SoapCalc numbers as the "end all be all" of soap qualities (we all know Castille or salt bar recipes fail on SoapCalc, but can be great in real life), but it does help give an idea of end product. In my personal opinion, I don't find the need to use so many different ingredients to achieve the same end product, like GV Shortening and Palm. They both contribute very similar qualities (since GV Shortening contains Tallow & Palm if you're using the same variety as SoapCalc). You COULD use one or the other. I also like to consider what the soap's purpose will be. Like a facial soap for sensitive skin or a mechanics soap, for example, would require totally different formulas. A formula with a low cleansing value may be great for facial soap, but terrible for mechanics soap.
I say go for it and let us know YOUR opinion of it.

Latest posts

Back