Simple Design Suggestions?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks so much, @earlene ! Yes, AWP, Alternate Wall Pour. :) It was previously gelled and kept in plastic, and I had plastic on top and bottom while rolling and it was still very soft like soap dough (I could have pretty easily squished it into a ball). However, I did not preheat it, which makes sense to do. One more thing learned thanks to you.

Second batch of Ma's soap, the multi-layer, is done! I was obviously a little too overzealous with tapping down the mold so the top layer shifted a bit sideways - Ah-whoopsies. I cut this one different so the stripes (piano keys) could be seen. The blue in the layers started coming out more with time, even though they were tightly wrapped, so I ended up just redoing the AWP layer. I did pour the thinest layer of plain soap batter between one of the two layers, but you can't tell from the side and I'm sure she won't be able to tell as she uses the soap. SO much fun. All the ideas (stripes, AWP, ITP/Swirl, Mica Swirl) were done and I think it made for a very cute soap. Thank you all so much for your kind suggestions!! 🥰

P.S. I'm never doing vertical striped soap again. I mean it.

All the individual layers:
MasMothersDay2021_AllLayers.png

Da soap:

FullSizeRender (73).jpg

Those look great! Ma is going to love them!

PS - one word of advice regarding vertical stripes: dividers. Game changer!
Oh believe me - I used dividers! There are no words for, and so many stories about, my gift of crooked lines. My stained-glass instructor quickly steered me away from my dream of being the next Frank Lloyd Wright. 🤣 🤣

hmmmmm...because I'm silly nuts.... Packaging/wrapping suggestions?
Since I'm giving her six bars I'd like to wrap them so she can store them easily, though not necessarily individually. Perhaps because I was reading @ResolvableOwl 's chocolate thread, right now I'm picturing them all together in a shallow old chocolate box and wrapped in simple tissue paper. BUT - thought I'd read somewhere here that one has to be careful of paper causing rancidity in soap too (?)

I don't know about rancidity, but tissue paper does glom onto the moisture in soap, so unless it is 100% dry (like in no moisture left whatsoever), it'll be a wet tissue mess.

Perhaps a chocolate box, some desiccant packets in with the soap & satin ribbon or lace around the soap with your label?

I don't know about rancidity, but tissue paper does glom onto the moisture in soap, so unless it is 100% dry (like in no moisture left whatsoever), it'll be a wet tissue mess.

Perhaps a chocolate box, some desiccant packets in with the soap & satin ribbon or lace around the soap with your label?
Thanks so much Earlene. I knew I'd read something about it, but couldn't find anything specific again in a search. Some simple ribbon/lace would be perfect - AND thanks for suggesting desiccant packets. We have plenty of those, so I'll definitely use them. Yippee, it's all come together!

Back