Simple beard oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obsidian

Reaction score
Does anyone have a simple beard oil recipe they are willing to share? It needs to be light with no scented oils. My hubby is so dry, I really want to make something for him but I don't know if he'll use it. I'm hoping if its really light and unscented, he'll at least try it.

I would suggest that you consider squalene. It is very close to human sebum, and I have used it successfully in areas where I want no scent and something that is well absorbed.

Thats sounds really nice, is it a oily substance? I think I'd like to use some jojoba too

Thats sounds really nice, is it a oily substance? I think I'd like to use some jojoba too
It's not as oily as most oils, if that makes sense. It absorbs very well, and it is very moisturizing. Like shunt, I use it on my face. It comes in two forms. Squalene is originally derived from shark liver oil, but squalane has been processed a bit to make it lighter. I have used both. Jojoba would work as well, I guess, but squalene/squalane would absorb into the skin much better, I think.

Another light, absorbent oil is meadowfoam seed oil. I have to say ... squalane is awful nice, though.

He's not getting the expensive luxury oils, lol. Has anyone used squalane on hair? If he doesn't like what I make, I'll have to use it and I won't apply it to my scalp.

If you're looking for an inexpensive and fairly easy to find oil, why not look for liquid coconut oil in the grocery stores? The clear liquid not the solid fat. It's fractionated CO ... often used in lotions and hair care products ... and would be a light easily absorbed oil. If hubby doesn't like it, you can cook with it. :)

I was planning on using it too. After doing some research, I think I'm going to use the coconut, jojoba and sunflower. I wouldn't mind adding the squalane but I want stuff I can buy local.

I made a beard oil for the guys in the family last year. I used equal parts jojoba, argan and fractionated coconut oil, and added a few drops of vitamin E to that. They seemed to like it. My son in law also occasionally used it in his hair - until I gave him some plain argan.

In the past I’ve made beard oil with fractionated coconut, hazelnut, and vitamin e. According to swiftcraftymonkey coconut oil has a small enough molecule to penetrate the hair shaft. Hazelnut is supposedly noncomedigenic.

The combo doesn’t absorb fast but it works for my husband

Sunflower also can penetrate the hair shaft without leaving hair crunchy like coconut can for some people. I personally an't use coconut, it dries my hair out.

I was going to get oils yesterday but my local store didn't have any jojoba and the only fractionated coconut oil was a very overpriced artisan brand.

Looks like this project has to wait until I get to walmart next time which is ok, DH really doesn't like the idea of beard oil but this is the man who won't use lotion or even chap stick of any kind, no matter how cracked and dry he gets.

I understand somewhat where your husband is coming from. It's illogical, but I don't like putting lotions or anything like that on my skin, even though it is very dry. I don't like the way it feels. It's principally why I got into soap-making in the first place. Syndets really dry me out more than CP soap. That's why I suggested squalane. It feels most like natural skin oil to me. I hope you find something that works for him that he will use!

Back