Silk.....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tanuki ~ your website is lovely! Thank you so much for educating me about silk in soap. I had no idea. I only make 1-pound batches for myself, my husband & my daughter, and am still learning. I'm very curious to experiment with silk now!

Thank you! :D

Does anyone here know where I can obtain a couple ounces of silk? The only place I found online was that Look China site that was mentioned, and they sell only 5 pounds at a time for approx $150...

..... um, no....

:)

Only a newbie, here.... only need a couple ounces....

....anybody know of any solutions?

I have a pound of the Look China silk I got in a co-op a year ago. I bet I have not used 1/2 ounce. I don't have any of the other type silk, but the Look China is good stuff!!! 8)

This is the Look China silk.
DSCF1625.jpg

Paul :wink:

Re: LOL!

NEASoapWorks said:
@Paul
You need to start your own soap supply company. QUIT PLAYIN' and just sell us EVERYTHING!!!!! Molds, lye, oils, butters, silk, goatsmilk, cheese, bread, coffee, tea, ice cream......

I agree. I need more one stop shopping. Shipping is eating my budget up. So Paul, when will you open shop? One stop shopping for the finest supplies at the bestest price. :D

Digit

Are you open yet?

SoapyGal said:
Does anyone here know where I can obtain a couple ounces of silk? The only place I found online was that Look China site that was mentioned, and they sell only 5 pounds at a time for approx $150...

..... um, no....

:)

Only a newbie, here.... only need a couple ounces....

....anybody know of any solutions?

I have purchased silk on ebay $3.00 US for about 2 ozs.
This site might be helpful as it was the seller on ebay
http://www.missbabs.com/store.php?cat=70

I use silk in every batch of soap. It really does add a nice silky quality to the finished bars.

I use the Tussa Noil Silk from The Scent Works- http://store.scent-works.com/tusnoilsilfi.html. They sell it in different quantities, and I bought 1 bag of their one-ounce size for $2.75.

Would you believe it if I told you that it was 115 batches of soap ago when I first started using the silk in every batch, and I'm still not done with that little ol' bag yet?! :) A little bit of silk goes a long, long way.

What I do is pinch off a small piece from the bunch and pull on the silk fibers until they are spread out as thinly as possible. Then I add the stretched-out pinch of silk to the water I'll be mixing my lye with, pushing the silk down into the water and letting it sit there for a few minutes to soak before I add my lye. The owner of the Scent Works that sells the silk recommended doing that because it helps the silk to dissolve more quickly in the lye water. It works great!

IrishLass

:oops: I'm sorry, I can't believe I'm saying this among SOAP friends, but....

Paul, it about breaks my heart to think that you're tossing that beautiful processed silk sliver into the lye water. Look again. Can't you hear it? That stuff is absolutely begging to be blended with some lovely deep-chocolate alpaca and spun into a most delectable yarn! **sigh**

What, you say? You don't spin? Yikes! Don't take it up unless you want the soap to suffer a bit -- but IMHO, soaping and handspinning are very similar crafts in that both require a little science and a little art, and the sky's the limit if you're feeling creative. 8)

Silk cocoons

Tanuki

My cocoons are about that size (thumb) but I opened one to see the silk and a dead bug was in it. That was sort of unexpected. I did read that you can buy them with the little critter still in them or not. 50 cocoons is a lot, I'll be ordering some of your soap!!! I bet it feels Heavenly.

Perhaps you should stick to ordering the critter-free versions? Duh!!! ;) ;) ;)

(If I want critters I'll order critters! If it don't say "critter" on my order, then leave them out!!! Thank you!!! ;))

TW,

I bet that was a surprise.
If the cocoon is whole, with no hole, (confusing stuff, English) then there is defiantly a little worm still inside.

The cocoons I use are harvested after the worm has left the cocoon.

If there is interest in silk cocoons, maybe I can make some of mine available for purchase. I get a new shipment next week, and then again in August.

Latest posts

Back