Silk cocoons matter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holuden

Reaction score
Greetings!

Recently I've decided to make soap with silk. Hot process. Bought myself a parcel of silkworm cocoons which turned out to be uncleaned. Apparently, it is a standart case in local market.

After some quality time to clean them up, including washing machine with soap, there are still brown spots on good half of them and they have this rotish stench. The producer claims that this is the case due to the fact that cocoons are produced locally and do not get mechanical cleaning treatment to keep all the natural properties and they are viable for soapmaking. But I'm still anxious if the dirt and scent may influence the final product?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20190826_005659_536.jpg
    IMG_20190826_005659_536.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 27
I also use cocoons and have raised silk worms in the past.

I would not use any cocoons that are stained or smell bad.
Any color on the cocoons should wash away easily with hot water.

I suspect the really dark ones may have had a worm die and start to decompose in it. A seller should not have sold those, find a different supplier next time.

I also use cocoons and have raised silk worms in the past.

I would not use any cocoons that are stained or smell bad.
Any color on the cocoons should wash away easily with hot water.

I suspect the really dark ones may have had a worm die and start to decompose in it. A seller should not have sold those, find a different supplier next time.

Thank you for advice! It was still quite a thing to learn=)

Latest posts

Back