Silk Cocoons have arrived

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tanuki

Reaction score
Hello everyone

I have just received a new shipment of silk cocoons. I have roughly 4000 silk cocoons and since there was quite a bit of interest in silk, I thought I'd share with my fellow soapers.

If anyone has interest in Japanese silk worm cocoons? I can set up a special order page on my website

Let me know if you have interest please.

Can those little buggers be spun into yarn?

Imagine a knitting a sweater with yarn spun from those. Once the whole creepy crawly thing passed I would love working with it.

Do you use it like regular silk tufts in soap? Just add to your lye/water?

Yes, thank you very much!

I would be very interested, but would need to know how expensive it would be to ship from Japan?

If it's too expensive, I'll have to live vicariously thru the rest of you :lol:

Thank you Tanuki, you're very generous!

Thanks for your interest

I'll be setting up an order page on my website today. I'll let you all know when it's ready.

Deda,
Yeas the little buggers can be spun into silk thread. There's about 800 meters of very fine silk on each cocoon. I have never personally spun thread, but have seen it done.

I add the silk cocoons directly to my lye-water solution. They dissolve completely in about 2 minutes with gentle stirring.

SoapyGal,
Shipping from Japan is surprisingly cheap and fast.

Express Mail Service (EMS) is around 15 dollars to the United States.
You'll get your package in 3 days and you can track package with a tracking number.

Economy Air Mail is around 5 dollars. Package will take around 2 weeks and no tracking number.

Yes I would! Please let us know as soon as you get ready for ordering. Thanks Judy

Definitely me if I can figure out whether it's allowed through the post via Customs.

Is it strange for me to think they look cute? :oops:

Latest posts

Back