silk amino acid and stearic acid

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mare61

Reaction score
I bought both to use in my next soap batch. But how much do I use???? With the silk it says 4-10 %, that seems like a lot. I would like some expert advice on this, please and thank you! :?

I have liquid silk amino acid which I bought before I realized that most soapers just use the fibers. I use it at the rate of 1/2 teaspoon per pound of oils. I have not used stearic acid yet. I have some, but don't know if I will use it or not. I have tried sodium lactate for hardness. Don't know if there was a difference or not. I love the silk in my bars, when I leave it out (accidently) I really miss it. I add the silk to the liquid before I add the lye.

mysoapopera said:
do you mean actual silk fibers are added to the soap?

Yes I use raw silk fabric. I soak in my water for about 15 minutes and then add my lye. The lye breaks down the fabric and what is left is the silk protein. It give a really nice slip to the soap:)

I don't mean to interupt this chat, but I need some information here about using powdered silk amino acid. Any help would be appreciated!!!

Thanks

If you have a good recipe you don't need the stearic acid you can depend on the oils to give you a hard bar of soap.

I use raw silk fibers, so I can't help you much there, but if the manufacture recommends that amount then I would suggest using that amount or less if you want on this particular item. (I wouldn't recommend going less on some things but I think on the silk it would be ok, but I would personally use what the manufacture recommends myself.)

Back