Silicone Molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamagirl

Reaction score
I know this may be a silly question, but I didn't want to order my soap-making supplies and when I made my first batch, find out I was wrong. :) If I have a recipe on soapcalc for a 16 oz total oil weight soap, what size silicone mold would I need? For my first two batches, I plan on making a 50% lard/30% OO/15% CO/5% Castor and want to pour into a rectangular mold. The second batch I want to be a salt bar, but haven't decided on the recipe, but I am planning on a 16 oz oil weight batch as well, poured into an individual bar mold. I just want to make sure any silicone molds I order will be able to hold the batch I am making. Thanks for your help!

The small Crafter's Choice mold would be a good choice if you regularly want to make batches with 16 oz of oil. It holds up to 24 oz of soap (including water, lye, etc). The dimensions are 3.5" wide x 4" long x 2.5" deep, which produces four 1" bars. You can get it here: http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/products/small-loaf-silicone-mold.aspx I have this mold and I love it for its small size.

Having said that, are you aware that SoapCalc (and most other lye calculators) can resize any recipe you have to fit whatever mold you want, so that you are not always locked into using 16 oz of oil? You would just change the weight of oils in block 2, and plug in the individual percentages of the oils you want rather than the weight of them. This, combined with the methods in the video above for determining how much oil or soap a mold will hold, will allow you great flexibility in your batch sizes and shapes.

Latest posts

Back