Silicone Mold Comparison

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilyandlove

Reaction score
Now that I have one batch under my belt... :p
... I would like to purchase a silicone loaf mold.
Does anyone have a comparison of loaves already cut showing the difference between the Crafters Choice 1501 and the BB 10" loaf mold? Or even one of those vs. a tall and skinny mold?
Thank you in advance!

I think the big difference is between the kind of silicone used in the stand alone molds, like the Crafter's Choice and the one from BB, and the kind that use a wooden box to support them. The stand alone molds have to be stiffer, because they're not supported by a wooden box. I have the one from CC, and I rarely use it, because for me, I find it very difficult to get the soap out. I'm used to the other type of silicone, where you can pull the sides away from the soap, turn it upside down, and it just falls out. With the stand alone, it's so stiff that I can barely pull it away from the soap to loosen it at all, and to get the loaf out, I have to push so hard with my thumbs that I always dent the soap. Just my two cents, but if it were me, I'd buy something like this from Nurture, and make my own wooden box, or if you can afford it, buy it with the box. With this type of silicone, it's sooooo easy to get the soap out. https://nurturesoap.com/collections...pound-loaf-silicone-liner?variant=20033048070

I have both the BB 10 inch and 4 inch. I love them both. It's very easy to get the soap out and they are tough too (they don't bow and haven't lost their shape). I also have the BB 9 bar unfinished wood mold w the dividers and I like that too.

I have the CC and the BB, both bow after repeated use. Not horribly, mind you, but it makes it difficult to cut straight when using a miter box. My sweet hubby made me a wooden mold that I line with freezer paper. I LOVE it! Perfectly straight bars every time with no need for an expensive cutter. So, you need to figure out if straight bars are important to you or not.

I have the T&S from BB and I really like it. It's exactly 12" long so I can make 12 1" bars. I had my friend make a wooden support for it so it doesn't bow out. That's a risk with most silicone molds especially the T&S.

Thank you all for your thoughts. I'm glad I asked! Looks like I will have to think about this a bit more. I definitely don't want any bowing. I experienced it with the milk carton mold I just used (reinforced with duct tape and then had to get creative with zip ties to stop the bowing...). Or maybe I will just have to get them all! :D :D :D

If you are handy with tools, or have an SO or good friend that is, it is quite easy to build your own wooden mold. I just made 3 of my own - 2 loaf molds and 1 slab mold. The loaf molds I made convertible so I can make a standard wide loaf or I can make a tall and skinny loaf.

I used these instructions (http://www.modernsoapmaking.com/build-adjustable-width-wooden-soap-molds/) and just tweaked the dimensions to suit me. (An important note: she lists using 5/8" bolts but I believe she meant 5/16". 5/8" bolts are massive.)

So, I guess I don't have to worry about this for now. My husband made me a mold for Mothers Day! :D Here are some pictures. :) Thanks again for all your input about silicone loaf molds!
Edit-to-add: He's outside right now and I heard sawing... I asked him what he's doing, and he's making me a smaller one, too!

IMG_5513.jpg

IMG_5514.jpg

So, I guess I don't have to worry about this for now. My husband made me a mold for Mothers Day! :D Here are some pictures. :) Thanks again for all your input about silicone loaf molds! Edit-to-add: He's outside right now and I heard sawing... I asked him what he's doing, and he's making me a smaller one, too!
What a terrific hubby! Lucky you!

Latest posts

Back