Silicone mlods that do not bow out?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

narnia

Reaction score
I ordered a set of 3 silicone loaf molds (2 lb) from an eBay seller for $39. Best price that I had seen. US seller...not shipped from China. Prior to purchase, I had asked if they bowed out. She said that she has had no complaints.

I received 3 molds. One was sturdy and the other 2 were flimsy. I tested one of the flimsy molds by making a batch of soap. It bowed out. I don't know how the sturdier one would behave.

I was so excited about not having to make freezer paper liner anymore, but sadly disappointed! Are there 2 lb silicone loaf molds out there that do not bow out? I can expect a longer one to bow, but I would think that such a small mold should not....

I ordered a set of 3 silicone loaf molds (2 lb) from an eBay seller for $39. Best price that I had seen. US seller...not shipped from China. Prior to purchase, I had asked if they bowed out. She said that she has had no complaints.

I received 3 molds. One was sturdy and the other 2 were flimsy. I tested one of the flimsy molds by making a batch of soap. It bowed out. I don't know how the sturdier one would behave.

I was so excited about not having to make freezer paper liner anymore, but sadly disappointed! Are there 2 lb silicone loaf molds out there that do not bow out? I can expect a longer one to bow, but I would think that such a small mold should not....

Consider replies like this a red flag if you want product information. It was just general to placate you enough to buy the product without offering valuable input. A vendor should know if they have crappy wares or not and they should be ethical enough to give a better answer than that if they want your business. But it could just be me being an honest, former retail associate.

If you know anyone with some time on their hands who is also handy, maybe you can have someone make some wooden molds the flimsy loaf pans could fit in.

I have 2 silicone molds from Brambleberry - a tall 12" mold and a 10" flat mold.
They both bow out, despite the reinforcing.

I am going to make a wooden box for mine but until then I use a cardboard box for one and three rubber bands tied together to hold the middle together for the other.

This works well because I want perfectly square and equal bars. Not everyone is as particular.

It's really not difficult to build a simple box for your mold. I have no woodworking experience, and I've managed to put several together. Actually, buying silicone molds at a good price, and building your own box, is really the most economical way to go. Don't give up on your molds yet!

There are a few of decent Silicon molds that do not bow out, but not at that price. You can get a decent 2.5 pounder with box and all for the price $29.08. https://nurturesoap.com/loaf-soap-molds/223-25-pound-basic-mold.html These molds are my favorites and they carry different sizes. The premiums are more expensive and have their own lid if you are looking for that kind of stuff.

To me it is worth it, due to how much it would cost to do it on my own.

• Lowes/Home Depot Travel time.
  • Bat my eyelashes and play helpless female so they can cut the wood to size. I had them say no before. Only offering to make one cut even when I offered to pay them which I always do since I never expect them to do it for free. If they charge add that up to the cost. If they dont cut it I put the wood back and fume about the waste of time.
  • Add the price of gas.
  • The time it takes to put it together which I could be spending making more soap, or going over the archives here in an effort not to ask questions that have been asked and answered, etc

I am not the best at math, but common sense tells me that when I add it all up I am way ahead by ordering the mold, shipping included. I make sure to order other stuff I need and I save up to order more than one mold. One less thing to worry about.

Be of Good Courage

Sere

Last edited:
Crafters choice one doesn't bow at all! Other than that..for more than 2 lbs a silicone liner inside a wood mold works great

Crafters choice one doesn't bow at all! Other than that..for more than 2 lbs a silicone liner inside a wood mold works great

Lowest price I have found on Crafter's Choice is $25. I guess you get what you pay for....

I have not heard back from that seller...her policy was "no returns" so I guess I won't be hearing from her. I had considered making a support structure around it. Last night, I put two wood molds, one on either side (with a bottle of oil in each to weight them) to hold the sides straight.

I have never bought anything with a "no returns" policy, but since she assured that no complaints from bowing, I went ahead anyway. I have learned my lesson!!

In terms of silicone molds....I'm not sure that I like them. I found out this morning that it is much harder to get the loaf out of the mold. I have to put so much pressure on them, that I feel like I am getting finger indentations on the the bottom of the loaf when trying to push it out of the mold.

Also, when I was fillling the sili-mold, I could not heap up on top like I could with my wood molds because the sides bowed out. Then, when I pushed it back together, I still did not have as much batter in it as I used to have.

With the wood mold, all I had to do was lift up the freezer paper and it was out! As tedious as it is to line with freezer paper, I think I may be going back to my wood molds. I will make a template and cut as many as I can in advance, so that I will have a supply ready.

I use silicone lined wood molds and will never go back to having to line them. I had more issues getting those out than my silicone. My silicone come out soe smoothly and easy. I use the Brambleberry liners (my husband made my wooden molds for them) and Nuture Soap Supplies molds (my favorites). I just ordered 2 more 7 1/2 lb molds. They work like a gem. Soap just pops out.

I use silicone lined wood molds and will never go back to having to line them. I had more issues getting those out than my silicone. My silicone come out soe smoothly and easy. I use the Brambleberry liners (my husband made my wooden molds for them) and Nuture Soap Supplies molds (my favorites). I just ordered 2 more 7 1/2 lb molds. They work like a gem. Soap just pops out.

Yup. I got some of the liners and made a set of wood supports for them. That sounds like what you bought without knowing it. All is not lost. Measure the outside at the bottom of the molds for the inside dimensions of the wood frame. Make sure to also measure the height of the silicone to the bottom of the lip. Slip in and out in a second and the soap just pops right out.

We defiantly have some wooden mold devotees here! What some folks do is find or make a cardboard box that fits perfectly inside their wooden mold, and wrap the box - just like you'd wrap a present, except leave one end open - with parchment paper, and then slide the slide the wrapping off the box and put it in the mold.

Thanks Dixie for the tip! I just got my first slab molds and lining was such a pain. I generally use silicone molds so this whole lining a mold business was not for me. I think it took me over 30 minutes to do my first one. Def. hoping that BB has a silicone mold sale soon so I can just pick up a few of the liners and never line again.

Most of my eBay molds tend to bow. I just make a cardboard box support for the molds. The T&S mold from American Soap Supplies will probably be your best bet for no bowing. My T&S mold from WSP bowed. My first couple times using it the one from American Soap Supplies, I had some bowing because I was overfilling. Now I stick to 36oz of oils and my bars are all nice and perfect. I end up with probably 1cm of space from the top of the mold.

I've been reading the reviews of the 8" Crafter's Choice mold on Wholesale Supplies Plus. 90+% of the people ae saying that they do not bow. So I am looking really hard at those.

Some people even have trouble with these seemingly perfect molds. Apparently the silicone inner liner does not always fit the mold perfectly so it bows out in places.

https://nurturesoap.com/loaf-soap-molds/222-5-pound-basic-loaf-mold.html

If I knew what I know now I would have bought the inner liners and made my own box surround. When I get good enough to make bigger amounts that is what I will do. At the moment I am pleased with the T&S and Log molds from BB. They are a nice shape for soap - DH really loves the tall and skinny one - and they are super easy to use, the cardboard support I use is good and will be great when I get myself together to do a little woodwork. :)

I use the silicone liners from BB. My husband made wooden molds for them to fit in. The biggest problem is they are really flimsy and after using them for awhile they stretch out and don't fit well into the molds. So, I then purchased a couple of the 7.5 lb liners from Nurture and again my husband made me wooden molds. They are awesome. I've not had any problems with them deforming. I've since ordered 4 more (just got two yesterday) with the basic wood mold and they are still great. The thickness of the silicone with Nurture's is so much better. No stretching the mold to get the soap out. I just loosen the sides, turn it upside down and put a little pressure on the bottom and they slide out.

The BB ones are okay but even when they arrive they are stuck together and sometimes you really have to pull on them to get them unstuck. However, for the price (15.00) they aren't bad for starters.

If you don't have woodworking skills, are afraid of it, are SURE you can't make a wood mold ... I have an alternative for you.

Get a piece of cardboard at least an inch larger all around. You really can use anything you are comfortable cutting Matting, foam board, whatever so long as it is rigid. Cut a hole in it exactly the size of the outside of your mold. Then cut again maybe an inch or so further out (size/distance is not important and does not have to be exact). You now have the most basic frame to keep your mold square. You can tape this to the outside towards the top of the mold, use it as a "frame" to set the mold down in another box, stab pencils or toothpicks through it to make legs, whatever.

If you really are hope/helpless, go to Michael's or a similar store and ask them to cut some mat for you.

Here's what I mean (my 1,000 words more):

Untitled.jpg

I use the Crafter's Choice 3 lb mold. I unmold my gelled soaps between 18-24 hours by pulling out each side, turning it over completely, and pushing in the center with the heel of my hand. Never had a single problem with bowing or having trouble unmolding. If I don't gel for whatever reason, I generally give that batch at least a full extra day before testing to unmold. Then I repeat the test until I can press the corner without denting. But, I do not mound the soap in the center. I like being able to flip my bars completely over in the curing process, and I just plain like the shape of a rectangle bar better.

If you don't have woodworking skills, are afraid of it, are SURE you can't make a wood mold ... I have an alternative for you.

Get a piece of cardboard at least an inch larger all around. You really can use anything you are comfortable cutting Matting, foam board, whatever so long as it is rigid. Cut a hole in it exactly the size of the outside of your mold. Then cut again maybe an inch or so further out (size/distance is not important and does not have to be exact). You now have the most basic frame to keep your mold square. You can tape this to the outside towards the top of the mold, use it as a "frame" to set the mold down in another box, stab pencils or toothpicks through it to make legs, whatever.

If you really are hope/helpless, go to Michael's or a similar store and ask them to cut some mat for you.

Here's what I mean (my 1,000 words more):

Untitled.jpg

Thank you! That is an awesome (quick/easy) idea until my DH gets around to building some wooden boxes for me! :)

I use the Crafter's Choice 3 lb mold. I unmold my gelled soaps between 18-24 hours by pulling out each side, turning it over completely, and pushing in the center with the heel of my hand. Never had a single problem with bowing or having trouble unmolding. If I don't gel for whatever reason, I generally give that batch at least a full extra day before testing to unmold. Then I repeat the test until I can press the corner without denting. But, I do not mound the soap in the center. I like being able to flip my bars completely over in the curing process, and I just plain like the shape of a rectangle bar better.

How long have you had/used your mold? I keep finding reviews that even this brand bows out after a while.

Latest posts

Back