Silicone Loaf Molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HorseCreek

Reaction score
A couple questions... I use log molds that I have to line. I've been looking at the silicone molds and wondering about them. Does the soap actually come out easily? The silicone molds I have now for sample bars and a random baking pan... I usually have to freeze the soap to get it to pop out well.
Like the silicone loaf mold from ED or BB or take your pic. Do they actually save time or is it just as easy to line the molds? Thanks!

I personally love my silicone molds. I have about10 of the BB liners and my husband made wood molds they fit in. I also have 2 of nurtures 7.5 lb molds. They have made thing so much easier. I have no trouble unfolding them at all. I do use 2% sodium lactate which helps too.

I have silicone molds. No issues getting soap out. I loosen the sides by pulling it away from the soap. I turn it over and give it a little press to get it started, and it generally slides right out.

I've been making soap for years, and early on in my soapmaking days I decided I hated lining the molds. I wasn't great at it, which I'm sure influenced how I felt about it. I decided to splurge and get myself a silicone lined loaf mold from Upland. (no longer in business) Back then, silicone molds were a lot more expensive, but I was so happy with it, that I thought it was the best money I ever spent.
Since then, I've bought lots of silicone molds, both loaf style and individual molds. IMO, it just makes soaping so much easier and faster, and I love the way the soap comes out, smooth as glass. I've never had a problem getting my soap out of the mold, except early on, when I wasn't aware that ungelled soap takes so much longer to saponify, and I tried to get ungelled soap out of the mold as quickly as I do with my gelled soap. The soap stuck to the mold terribly. When I finally figured out what the problem was, I just left it there for a few days and voila....it popped out with no problem. Since then, I gel almost all of my soaps. I unmold the day after soaping, and the soap comes out smooth as a whistle. If I had to line the molds for all the soap I make, I probably wouldn't be in business.
Silicone liners have come way down in price and it's pretty easy to throw together a wooden box to hold it, which makes it even more affordable. My most recent loaf mold was from Nurture Soaps, they have some really good sales there. I've been very happy with their mold. If you try one, I think you'll love it!

Nav9 are those Nurture molds as good as they say?

I *really* like using them, but I need to find an alternative to the ones I have. They are a bit more expensive and even though I have not had the bubbles problem some others have had with these thicker ones, I know they are just waiting for the right time to show their face.

Not Nav9 but the Nurture silicone liners are awesome, I bought them with their basic wood mold. They have become my favorite, soap just slide right out of them. I only have 2 but they are worth it. I'm still primarily using the BB liners but I'm finding the more I use them they are stretching and don't fit quite as well as they did. I get a little buckle in them on the sides. And the Nurture liners won't fit in my molds as they are a bit longer.

Nav9 are those Nurture molds as good as they say?

I *really* like using them, but I need to find an alternative to the ones I have. They are a bit more expensive and even though I have not had the bubbles problem some others have had with these thicker ones, I know they are just waiting for the right time to show their face.

LB, I really like the Nurture molds, and when they're on sale, I like them even more! lol I find that building your own wooden box makes them definitely affordable. They perform as well as any of my other silicone liners.

Not Nav9 but the Nurture silicone liners are awesome, I bought them with their basic wood mold. They have become my favorite, soap just slide right out of them. I only have 2 but they are worth it. I'm still primarily using the BB liners but I'm finding the more I use them they are stretching and don't fit quite as well as they did. I get a little buckle in them on the sides. And the Nurture liners won't fit in my molds as they are a bit longer.

Shunt as I mentioned, I paid a lot for my first liner from Upland. After using it for a bit, I noticed that the sides were wavy. I was pretty upset that after spending so much money, the liner was "warping." I had to clip it to the sides of the mold so that my soap wouldn't have wavy sides. But then I noticed that when I washed it, and had it on the counter to dry, it was perfectly straight, but when I put it back in the mold, there were the waves again. What seems to happen is that with use, the liner stretches a bit lengthwise, and when you put it back into the wooden mold, the sides buckle. So I took the removable wooden end off the mold and stuck a piece of thinner cardboard there, so the mold would have room to stretch out, and it was perfectly straight again. Now, when I build my wooden boxes for liners, I leave extra room at the end, and I use cardboard "shims" to adjust the dimensions lengthwise. Hope that makes sense. I haven't had this happen with all of my liners, but now that I know the cause, it's easy to deal with when it does. It's really a piece of cake to build the box. I love my silicone liners!!!

Yes, my husband moved the end pieces out further on a couple of them but your idea it awesome. The next molds he makes me I will have him do exactly as you. Thank you!!

I'm at a point where I need to make some molds so I think I am going that way. It's a nice combination of buy vs build with some added convenience. I'm just trying to decide between HDPE vs Plywood.

Do the Nurture ones stretch too? Or is that just the BB ones?

I'm at a point where I need to make some molds so I think I am going that way. It's a nice combination of buy vs build with some added convenience. I'm just trying to decide between HDPE vs Plywood.

Do the Nurture ones stretch too? Or is that just the BB ones?

It takes a while of using them before they start to stretch. The one from Nurture is my newest and so least used, and I haven't noticed any changes yet.

Back