Silicon Molds - Why are the soaps sticking!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bridgetmoon

Reaction score
Hi.

I'm a little confused, when i first made a bar of soap with the original kit it came with. It was fine :)

2 nights ago, I thought i'd be adventurous and make Lemon & Honey soaps, and even after 2 hours of being in the fridge, wouldn't come out.

Partner took about an hour to get out the next day of the molds almost breaking them lol

just wanted to know why this may happen :(

Maybe it's the recipe.. needed some more time before unmolding? I have seen that some recipes that can come out easily in a lined wood mold need an extra day or two (or 5 sometimes) to come out of a silicone mold.

Why not pop them in the freezer for a couple of hours to see it makes it easier to unmold. Where did the molds come from?

That's happened to me before if the soap is soft. Mine don't tend to gel in silicone unless I insulate. Learned that if the soap is soft, best to leave it in the molds multiple days until it's hard enough to unmold without damage.

I recently experienced this. My soap was breaking and cracking when trying to unmould so I experimented. I had three silicone cavities which I duly coated with; 1) baby (mineral) oil 2) baby talcum powder and 3) plain flour.

I poured my CP soap into each cavity and waited 24 hours. Without doubt the cavity with the baby talc was the best by far. It came out completely clean, no breaks, cracks or anything else. The flour mould was similarly as good but the flour left a *tiny* yellowish/mottled tinge on the soap but I wouldn't say this was unsightly or ugly, not for me anyway. The baby (mineral) oil was a disaster! The soap stuck more than before and cracked when I tried to unmould it.

I would say coat your silicone mould liberally with baby talcum powder but if you don't have any, plain flour is just as good. Happy soaping! :)

P.S. I am in the UK so we spell 'mold' as 'mould'.

Since the OP is talking about MP I'm not sure any of these solutions are going to help. Try sticking them in the freezer for about 15 minutes and then popping them out. The nice thing about silicone is that you can kinda 'peel' it off the soap..HTH! (hope that helps!)

Latest posts

Back