Silica

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chay

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good supplier for Silicon Dioxide?

I've heard of soapers using the type that is cleaned/sterilized for children's sandboxes. Any Home Depot or Lowe's should have it.

I'm waiting for my stash from my brother and sister-in-law from the Outer Banks in NC...made soap last summer with the sand and salt water from Okrakoke and it was awesome! Can't wait to get my fix...been out of it for a month now.

Starum said:
Just a thought ... maybe you don't actually need to buy sand.
It never occurred to me you'd think I was looking for sand. My apologies, I should have been more clear. I am looking for powdered silica, it absorbs oil and improves slip.

scouter139 said:
I'm waiting for my stash from my brother and sister-in-law from the Outer Banks in NC...made soap last summer with the sand and salt water from Okrakoke and it was awesome! Can't wait to get my fix...been out of it for a month now.
I used to live close to Okrakoke, fantastic place!

Oh Chay, that would be heaven for my husband, he's been going for 36 years now. Boy, has it changed...from almost nothing but one restaurant on the end of the island to how it is now...we try and go once a year and stay from 3-7 days. We stay at the local hotels and just spend lazy days at the beach, mornings at Okracoke coffee shop and dinner at the many restaurants there now.

I never thought to make soap from ocean water and sand but boy oh boy, it was the best! Can't wait to make a couple more batches, hoping they are bringing home a couple of bottles.

Back