Silica in CP soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Why would someone use this in their marketing? What would be the benefit in soap? I looked on the web a little , but I don’t get it. Maybe I’m missing something 🤔🤔

Silica, aka silicon oxide, is the main mineral found in sand. Pumice contains silica along with other minerals.

Sodium silicate is another silicon-containing chemical that can be used in soap. It adds detergency (cleaning power) of soap and can act as a water softening agent, something like sodium carbonate (washing soda). Adding sodium silicate also allows a soap maker to include more water in the soap as a filler to reduce the cost of making the soap.

More: Sodium lactate and Sodium Silcate- Whats the use ?

Technically, my April challenge soap contained silica too, in the form of diatomaceous earth (which was the farthest I dared to stretch my self-imposed “no colourants” rule). Unless of course I'm just making this up, it indeed adds an ever so slightly scratchy feel (“grip”) to the soap, that is actually pleasant (like a peeling) in conjunction with a little pressure.

But then, if I'd add this to a soap for sale, I'd call it diatomaceous earth rather than silica, just like activated charcoal isn't just called carbon (though chemically correct). Silica is in fact a too generic name to trigger any specific qualities – it could be anything from silicosis-causing dust, over plankton skeletons, glass shards, sand, rocks or moonlight-harvested amethyst.

I guess my confusion is with a particular soap I saw. It touted its silica content in its marketing, yet I saw nothing in its ingredients that would indicate said claim. As a consumer, I would have no idea what advantage silica would have to a soap. Just striked me as odd, I guess.

I use diatomaceous earth at many different stages fro different reasons.1) I recycle my oils from cooking. I use DE mixed with salt to help clean and deodorize the tallow collected. 2) I use DE in my recycled vegetable oil soap to add hardness to the bar. 3) I use DE in CP batter when I'm making a batch to treat an eczema out break, I've found it help with itching, drying out puss allowing my skin to close and heal where I've scratched it open helping keep the scaring down. 4) I also use DE as decoration in a pencil line or like titanium dioxide to brighten.

Technically, my April challenge soap contained silica too, in the form of diatomaceous earth (which was the farthest I dared to stretch my self-imposed “no colourants” rule). Unless of course I'm just making this up, it indeed adds an ever so slightly scratchy feel (“grip”) to the soap, that is actually pleasant (like a peeling) in conjunction with a little pressure.

But then, if I'd add this to a soap for sale, I'd call it diatomaceous earth rather than silica, just like activated charcoal isn't just called carbon (though chemically correct). Silica is in fact a too generic name to trigger any specific qualities – it could be anything from silicosis-causing dust, over plankton skeletons, glass shards, sand, rocks or moonlight-harvested amethyst.

I believe you😄 I make a scrubby yet gentle kitchen soap for stainless steel pots and pans, the stainless steel sink, and anything that needs a bit of scrub a dub dub and shine. Even silver! It contains DE with a just a smidgen of the finest pummice and some other things. Løøve that stuff.

Rocks Of Moonligt - wow, that could make such a pretty soap name! (I would totally steel it from you, but all my soaps have Norwegian names😁 )

I guess my confusion is with a particular soap I saw. It touted its silica content in its marketing, yet I saw nothing in its ingredients that would indicate said claim. As a consumer, I would have no idea what advantage silica would have to a soap. Just striked me as odd, I guess.
Hmm, now I am curious about which soap it is. Curious minds want to know😁

Rocks of Møønlight? 🤣

Are you trying to end me, or someting?? 😂🤣

Did you know that "Møø" is what the cows say here in Norway? Not moo, but møø. I should crank up Spotify whenever I pass a cow, and see what happens if I play the Møønlight Sonata.

(If you don`t hear from me again, you know what happened.) 🐮

Back