Side of Beef, Tallow?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jean1C

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am getting ready to order a side of beef for the freezer. I am thinking I can ask the butcher for some fat, since he has to trim the stuff anyway. I have NO experience in tallow, but would like to try some soap with this.
My question specifically, is how much should I request? I have to render it, right? Anyone have any good web links that have worked?
I would really like to know how to do this, my grandmother did it, after she immigrated from Poland. My mom remembers some of it, but being the youngest,(she is now 87) didn't really take part in the process.
Heck, I even have the old cauldron from my "Busia"...maybe I can set something out over the firepit and have an authentic lye soap...yeah...

I wouldn't ask for over 15 lbs of tallow. Tallow can get old just like lard. You will probably need to clean it unless the butcher will clean it and grind it for you. I would have him divide it into 2 or 3 lb packages if he grinds it and wraps it. That way you can render a litttle at a time.

Hi Jean, I can offer a few tips, as I have rendered lard(pig fat) and would assume the process to me nearly the same. First if it's coming from a butcher it's probably going to be in strips or slabs which will require a lot of chopping in small pieces before it can be rendered. This is my least favorite part! So I request the butcher grind the fat for me, mine does this for free. I also request it be portioned out, and frozen. This way I can work in the size batches I want to, instead of being forced to render say 10 Lb at once. Another thing to keep in mind, there is a difference in the visceral fat (fat around muscle) and internal fat around the organs. I have made soap with tallow, I like it. If you not sure it's for you, you may want to get your hands on some and rock out a batch before you put in all the work of rendering your own. Walmart has a brand of shortening Great Value contains tallow and palm, just check the label because there are a few different varieties. And if you're looking for more info on this topic, search SMF I know the discussions exist, cause I've participated in them! :)

Ok Isg beat me to it!! lol

While that might be true for some, it depends on how much tallow you use. I use a lot and could go through 15 pounds in a couple of weeks. Plus you can keep it in the freezer for quite a while. Think about how much you use- and about if you really want to use the big pot outside or want to do smaller amounts inside. I'm on my phone now but have links at home I will post later if you still need them.

Six months is the shelf life of tallow in the freezer. If you can use more than 15 lbs. up in that time, by all means ask the butcher for it, but I doubt if a side of beef will yield more than 15 lbs. of tallow.

Do we haveto cook this to extract tallow or it can be used as it is for soap making?

Seconding asking the butcher to grind it for you. Mine charges $1 extra pe pound to do so, but it's well worth it!

I second what the poster above me said. I cut it up myself and it took forever and 1 day..

Six months is the shelf life of tallow in the freezer. If you can use more than 15 lbs. up in that time, by all means ask the butcher for it, but I doubt if a side of beef will yield more than 15 lbs. of tallow.

Okay, so if 6 months is the shelf life in the freezer, and I use it in 2 months, does that mean that after my soap cures...let's say 1 month (total:3 month). Do I have to use the soap within the following 3 months? Just thinking about the shelf life of oils.

No, you don't have to use the soap up that fast because the tallow has gone through a chemical change when combined with the lye.

Okay, so if 6 months is the shelf life in the freezer, and I use it in 2 months, does that mean that after my soap cures...let's say 1 month (total:3 month). Do I have to use the soap within the following 3 months? Just thinking about the shelf life of oils.

No, you don't have to use the soap up that fast because the tallow has gone through a chemical change when combined with the lye.

This is interesting and timely. I made a batch of tallow/lard soap a few months ago and was at a friends house the other day where one of the bars was proudly displayed in a guest bathroom. Horror! The whole bar-except for the indigo swirls- was orange. It was triple rendered and salt washed. :confused:

Latest posts

Back