Sick doggy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obsidian

Reaction score
Warning possible TMI and illness descriptions along with a incision picture.

My poor luna has been miserable the last few days. Started with her vomiting all night, over 16 times.
A urgent trip the vet, a bunch expensive meds along with a diagnosis of gastritis.

Next more, in more pain and visibly bloated. Another urgent trip to vets where she was hospitalized.
Many tests later to figure out that food was sitting in her stomach, unable to move.
The images didn't show if there was a blockage or not so it was a wait and see. She spend the day hooked up to a IV getting fluids and meds.

She got to come home that night but had to return the following morning for another ultrasound to see if anything was moving. It wasn't, so exploratory surgery was necessary.
Turns out there wasn't a blockage but the food in her tummy had turned into a gooey, sticky mass and the intestines were very irritated.
They had to lavage her stomach, a lot but she is cleaned out now and came home last night.

She has a fairly large incision with staples. I'm feeding very small amounts of food and hoping that her system is working now which it seems to be.
My biggest concern now is keeping her still as she is pretty manic most of the time.

Attachments

• 20210417_074630.jpg
    20210417_074630.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210724_073502.jpg
    20210724_073502.jpg
    551.4 KB · Views: 14
Sending you both healing vibes and virtual hugs. 💜

It's always hard when our furbabies are unwell, I do hope she'll this just fine.

Poor Baby! I do hope Luna feels better soon and recovers fairly quickly. What an awful scare for both of you! I am sure she is very happy that you took her to the vet this time, in spite of the surgery because she realizes it saved her life. I hope you are resting easier, too. I would have been so anxious I would not have been able to sleep, which I expect you weren't either.

My son's Bull Terrier is also rather manic at times, so I can imagine how concerned you are about keeping her calm while she heals. Just wagging her tail when she's slightly happy looks exhausting to me! I can't even imagine how she would react to such a forced rest period.

Thanks everyone. It has been tiring, last night was the worst as we slept on the living room floor. Normally she sleeps in bed with me but she can't jump for at least a week so no bed for us.

She is doing a lot better today. She even tried to play with the other dog and yelled at me when I made her stop.

I borrowed a stethoscope so I can listen for gut sounds and all seems well with that, nice and gurgly

Poor baby! It's so hard when our BFF (best fur friend) are having health problems. It sounds like she is recovering though, and I am so happy for you that she is. I'm sure the next week will be difficult in a different kind of way in trying to keep her calm and quiet. 🤗

I hope she is on the mend. She has went quiet and subdued again, like she was when she was first sick.
I'm hoping its just a case of her overdoing it and being sore. I just wish there was a way to know what is going on with her digestive system besides obsessively following her around with a stethoscope.

Sending all good thoughts to you and Luna. You sound like me, I always sleep on the floor when my doggies are sick. I hope Luna's gut starts working normally, and you get some rest. It's exhausting when taking care of AND worrying about a sick pet. If only they could talk!

Oh poor Luna! I hope she is on the mend!
One of my friend's dogs got an obstruction and after surgery she was put on a motility drug to keep food moving through her system. I believe she was going to have to be on it for the rest of her life. This was years ago and the dog is still going strong. I'm wondering if they have mentioned anything like that for Luna?

Oh poor Luna! I hope she is on the mend!
One of my friend's dogs got an obstruction and after surgery she was put on a motility drug to keep food moving through her system. I believe she was going to have to be on it for the rest of her life. This was years ago and the dog is still going strong. I'm wondering if they have mentioned anything like that for Luna?
She is on meds to help help her system work but its only for a short time.

She still hasn't pooped but she doesn't seem bloated or sick. In fact, she is ready to get back to normal play.
Her incision hurting is the only thing keeping her even a little bit subdued.
I'm wondering if she hasn't eaten enough to really move through her yet. I'm trying to not over stress her system too much.

Poor pupster. Wishing you guys well.

edit… when i had my cat spayed (she was already a few years old), i had kitty doses of morphine. I was soooo worried about the incision site. I got her a cone and all. But the drugs kept her so loopy that i feared that i was doing more damage than good. She was fighting the cone and trying to jump up on her perch with it, while basically stoned.

I stopped using the cone and stopped the drugs…i let her do what she was comfortable enough to do, with occasional incision checks. The next day she was chasing lizards and back to jumping up and sleeping in bed with me. Animals are pretty good at recovering on their own.

Last edited:
I think doggy morphine is what they gave luna the first day. It was way too powerful, she couldn't move for hours and just laid around drooling.
Now she is on rimadyl and gabapentin. I tried to reduce the pain meds and it just hurts too much. Her incision is more then double the size of a spay.

Her system is finally starting to move along better. I've never been so happy to see poo before lol.

Latest posts

Back