Shrinkwrap and scent transfer

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashleigh

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have just started using biodegradable (Biolefin) perforated shrinkwrap. The website says that it allows scent to pass through the film. I personally don't smell too much once packaged, but I don't have a very sensitive nose. I was wondering how other people stored their shrinkwrapped soap. Does the scent leak over time enough that you keep each scent stored separately? Or do they do a fair enough job that its okay to store multiple scents in the same box?

I used to use glassine bags, and didn't carry a lot of different fragrances so just kept them all in separate boxes once wrapped. Now that I have much more, and do fairly small batches, I just don't have the space to box them all up separately. This will be a pain to pack for markets as well. I'm thinking it should be safe enough to package similar scents in one box at the very least.

I would appreciate any opinions and advice from others on how they go about storage and handle the (possible) scent transfer issue after the shrinkwrap part is done.

Thanks!

Since I have not used the biolefin (but want to try it one day), I cannot address that specific product.

But I do use smell-through shrink wrap and I have no difficulty smelling most scented soaps so wrapped. But sometimes I have double wrapped (not often, but I have done it once or twice) and I notice the fragrance doesn't come through as much.

Perhaps it has to do with how think the wrap is, as to why you can't smell it as much as you may have expected.

Anyway, I store mine in paperboard/light cardboard boxes. Some scents are stronger than others, and those I keep separate from the rest. Most are kept in a box until it is full without a great regard for scent separation. I have not really noticed scent transfer, but I suspect it could happen. But then, I don't sell, so perhaps if I did, I would separate by scents a lot more.

@earlene Thank you so much! I appreciate knowing you haven't noticed scent transfer. At least in the short term during the Christmas markets I likely won't have to worry too much about keeping them in as few boxes as possible.

I used shrink wrap last season. I didn't use the perforated kind but snipped the corners to let the soap breath just a bit.
I packed two or three different kinds of soap each in plastic shoe-boxes. During the season I didn't notice much if any scent transfer but the boxes were opened and stuff moved around at least weekly.

Now that i've had leftover inventory sitting in boxes for a few months, scent transfer is very noticeable between soaps in each box. Everything in the same box smells the same on the surface. When unwrapped the transferred scent fades within a few days but that's not helpful if you want to pull something out and show of sell it.

Thank you @ItsForrest! That's exactly what I want to do, is just box them up together for the craft fair season and for long term storage at home i'll have them separated more. I appreciate you sharing your experience with this!

Back