Shrink wrapping MP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LilianNoir

Reaction score
If posted this here rather than the packaging area since I'm asking specifically about melt and pour.

I haven't used shrink before but decided to try, as I made a big-ish batch of MP(4lbs, more than I'm used to) and wanted to securely wrap them before they got glycerin dew. I HATE using wrapping with seran/plastic wrap so though shrink wrap would be easier.

Now I know there's some learning curve,but I can't seem to get the seem fully melted and closed without melting my soap. The rest of the bar was fine, but the amount of heat required to get the edge where there was the most plastic, was enough to melt the soap. Less heat, or less time, and nothing changed with the plastic.

I know others use shrink wrap with MP so it must be a matter of technique and setting.

I'm using a heatgun I got from Amazon. Brand "Seekone" and has 4.5 stars out of 2500 ratings.It came with several nozzle attachments so I'm wondering if those might help?

What are your tips, tricks, settings and general process for shrink wrapping MP with a heatgun?

I think you are holding the heat gun too close and maybe holding it in one spot too long. I usually wave the heat gun back and forth over the wrapped bar until I get the results I want. Is there an adjustment for the temp.? If so, you might try a lower temperature.

If posted this here rather than the packaging area since I'm asking specifically about melt and pour.

I haven't used shrink before but decided to try, as I made a big-ish batch of MP(4lbs, more than I'm used to) and wanted to securely wrap them before they got glycerin dew. I HATE using wrapping with seran/plastic wrap so though shrink wrap would be easier.

Now I know there's some learning curve,but I can't seem to get the seem fully melted and closed without melting my soap. The rest of the bar was fine, but the amount of heat required to get the edge where there was the most plastic, was enough to melt the soap. Less heat, or less time, and nothing changed with the plastic.

I know others use shrink wrap with MP so it must be a matter of technique and setting.

I'm using a heatgun I got from Amazon. Brand "Seekone" and has 4.5 stars out of 2500 ratings.It came with several nozzle attachments so I'm wondering if those might help?

What are your tips, tricks, settings and general process for shrink wrapping MP with a heatgun?
I keep my gun at a low setting while constantly moving it back and forth at about six inches away. I do the sides first, flip to the back and do that, then a wave over the top of the soap. It takes practice! I melted a few as well.

I’ve just started using my heat gun I wave it around in a circular motion on the lowest setting. It works really well , I’ve melted a few but hardly any recently with more practice

Back