Shrink wrap re-do's

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Getting ready to drop off 24 bars, all labeled and shrink wrapped...ready to go. Decided to pull them out again for a re-inspection and another touch up to make sure they are good with no pointy spots. As I hit them with the heat gun, it seems like they all really needed a big touch up. The wraps were all a little baggie!! My house is pretty cold, so that might be a factor. It wasn't terrible, and maybe not even noticeable to anybody but me...

These are fully cured @ 8 weeks or so. I wrapped most of them last week, and did the last few just now. These are going to a store. Are they going to keep needing touch ups? I don't know what other question to ask. i just wasn't expecting them to need to be hit with the heat gun again.

These are friends of mine that own the store, so I don't mind going in once in a while to hit them with the heat gun now and then. But I don't imagine that this is a normal problem. It's only been a week since I originally wrapped them.

Are they going to keep needing touch ups?

Probably not as much as time goes on. While the majority of shrinkage occurs within the first month, soap continues to cure. I have some soap I shrank wrapped a year ago, there is approximately a 1/8" gap around all the edges. I decided to go with boxes several months back just I wouldn't have to worry about having to rewrap or touch up the packaging if my soap didn't sell within a few months.

For sales, I do believe the touch up is important. For gifting to my family & friends, I do additional shrinking if, IMO, it's too loose and I want it at it's best. So if it's an Occassion Gift, yes; If it's a periodic Give-Away, probably not.

Thanks everybody.

I dropped the box off at the store yesterday. He just hired new girls that I don't know. So when I walked in with the box and asked them to make sure to put them in the office, they started pulling out all my soaps. STOP IT LOL. Then the customers... Then one fell on the floor. I have ageda just thinking about it.

Not everybody has the same respect for the soaps as we all do. I am glad he is displaying them at his other location so I don't have to witness soap abuse LOL.

I ran out to the truck to get the girls their own bars of soap (as a courtesy cause they work there), and made them put the box in the office.

I felt like the girl scout cookie girl LOL.

Back