Showing my first 3 soaps and asking few questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MillyMelly

Reaction score
I've made my first 3 soaps a few days ago.
Bentonite, Calendula and Lavender soaps.

I have a question about one of the soaps where I used 6% grapeseed oil.
The others don't have the grapeseed oil in them.

This one (middle one on picture) came out of the mold really nice, like the others did, but it was slippery.
VERY slippery.
Now a few days later, they aren't slippery anymore and since the color of the soap is orange already, I don't care about DOS in it (if they will appear), but my question is the following:

The other 2 soaps are harder than this one (all 3 made 5 days ago). The orange one can be easily smashed if I push with my finger.
Not really smashed, but I can push my thumb in it.
Will this harden over time or was this a waste of materials?
Looks like the other 2 are curing better, but still that orange one looks great.
It's just a bit softer to the touch.
Maybe I'm just being impatient ;)

Ps, if I press, I can press them all with my fingers..... but they look sturdy.

Here's my picture:
IMG_7910.JPG

All very nice - congratulations! You will need to wait at least 6 weeks for them to harden up a bit more. The grapeseed one will probably need a couple weeks longer. And as they cure longer they will also harden more.
FYI -DOS doesn't only look bad - it can often smell bad too. But 6% grapeseed probably won't be enough on its own to cause DOS - it's dependent on your entire recipe and also storage conditions.

All very nice - congratulations! You will need to wait at least 6 weeks for them to harden up a bit more. The grapeseed one will probably need a couple weeks longer. And as they cure longer they will also harden more.
FYI -DOS doesn't only look bad - it can often smell bad too. But 6% grapeseed probably won't be enough on its own to cause DOS - it's dependent on your entire recipe and also storage conditions.

Thank you so much!

Latest posts

Back