Shower Gel question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soapytwinboys

Reaction score
I bought a 5 gallon bottle of shower gel from brambleberry to experiment with. I have added some scents to small batches as experiments but the gel seems to be really thin. What can I do to thicken up the gel?

Thanks!

corn starch is often used to thicken up liquid soap :)

I don't think you can :? . I have used bases from many supliers over a 7 year span & I have never successfully thickened a shower gel base up.

If you need a thick shower gel your best bet is to buy a suspension shower gel/body wash base.

Fragrances have to be used very lightly w/ them too. They can break down the composition of the gel & turn them to a water consisitency. Some scents do it more than others & you never know which one will do it or how much it will take. Very finicky product.

I bought a gallon from wSP. I scented it and it turned to water. I researched and began making my own.

Which shower gel did you buy? I've used all of their bases at one time or another... The Organic base was the thinnest by far. I used table salt to thicken it.

I filled a mug up with distilled water and added a lot of salt. Put it in the microwave until it was steaming and stirred really well. Let the salt that hadn't dissolved settle to the bottle, and used a dropper to slowly add the water to the gel. A little goes a loooooong way. I'd experiment with a small batch first. ;) Hope that helps some!

Tabitha said:
If you need a thick shower gel your best bet is to buy a suspension shower gel/body wash base.
The suspension base from BB is still pretty thin....Weird texture, it's like jelly... :roll:

Bittercreek North's suspension base is crazy thick & they will sell a 4oz sample for you to try firts.

I have tried the salt trick, it helped for a minute but it got thin again as it set :roll: .

It's been over 4 years since I used their gel. I wouldn't know the name it if was right in front of me. They were the only supplier I used then though. Making my own is much easier for me these days and works great. :D

Back