Shower Caps for Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don't do textured or high tops on my soaps very often. I like to wrap plastic on my mold before CPOPing it or wrapping it in towels to gel. The problem I have with plastic wrap is, I'm not an octopus. I've only got two hands and that stuff takes at least four to get it on correctly without messing up the tops of my soaps. I hate when I have a pretty swirl on the top of the soap, and have left plenty of "head space" to cover it, but the plastic falls in and totally destroys my design. That is so annoying it makes me scream!!

I was in Dollar General one day when I happened to see bowl covers. Ingenious little inventions. I had seen them before in Walmart, but never paid attention to them. Now, of course, everything I see is converted to "the soap factor" and these have a wonderful use. I no longer need to use the plastic wrap for my molds. I'm so happy with this little invention. Now, I have accidentally dipped the "shower cap" into a mold of soap, but I have since learned the "proper" way of placing it on the mold. You've got to stretch the thing taught over the mold and slide your hands down the sides of the mold before letting go of the elastic. You may want to practice with a mold full of water before messing up a design if you decide to use these.

The large (red) is on the 2# mold, the medium (green) is on the 11 oz mold and the small (blue) is on the pringles singles mold. There is enough play in the red mold that if you did a high top, you could probably tape some straws to the outside of your mold higher than your soap and slip the plastic over it (if you wanted to go through the trouble). This way, you'll cover the soap to prevent ash and not mush the top of your design.

Anyway, they are only $2 for eight covers. They're reusable and clean up easily. I think it's a good value. The convenience factor alone is worth it to me.

CoverMate Front.jpg

CoverMate back.jpg

CoverMate in action.jpg

Shower caps! LOL! :) If you find that ends up not working well, try using the takeout container lids from restaurants, they add some height to keep modestly high tops safe. Some are better at heat resistance than others so you'll have to use your best judgment. Our Chinese places have the best ones!

Nice! Didn't know you could still get these. My mother used to have heavy duty ones (made like diaper pants) that she used and reused in the kitchen for decades.

My dollar tree carries them and I have a bunch of them. However, never thought to use them to cover my soap. Especially individual bars. My loafs all have lids. Smart thinking.

Nice find! When I've managed to make textured tops that actually look decent, I've been strategically using toothpicks to tent my saran wrap over the top. I'll have to try that with the food covers.

My dollar tree carries them and I have a bunch of them. However, never thought to use them to cover my soap. Especially individual bars. My loafs all have lids. Smart thinking.

Thanks! When I saw the small one, I though there was nothing I could possibly use it for, then I poured a pringles singles and had a light bulb moment. I've only got one mold that has a lid. It's a combo 2 loaf/slab four pound mold. The other two 2# molds I have were cheap ones off of Amazon. I bought those to "try out" this thing called soaping, because I wasn't sure if it was something I'd actually like. Now I need to start making my own molds WITH lids. But until then, it's the shower caps!

Latest posts

Back