Show opportunity - would you do it

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Primrose

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to attend a 7 day show, approx 350,000-400,000 attendance. The slot would cost me $600-700 likely.

The fee doesn't worry me; I know the foot traffic and the customers and it should be well worth it on a historical basis.

However - I may be situated pretty much next to a camel milk soapmaker. I am a goat milk soaper.

Would being next to the camel milk soaper turn you off or make you second guess your involvement?

The historical basis I mentioned above is based on being the only soaper in the area

It sounds like a great opportunity however, being right next to another soapmaker may be a disadvantage. The advantage would be that more folks have heard or tried goat's milk soap but not Camel. That's not a bad price for 7 days. That's what they charge in my area for 2-3 days at quite a few shows. I haven't coughed up that amount yet but have been thinking of trying one.

Are there any other soap makers?

I am guessing that camel milk soap is going to be more expensive than goat milk, so that might work in your favor.

I hate to say this, but I'd try to do something with special label appeal. Like silk fibers.

I think I'd do it.

I agree with dixiedragon that it might work in your benefit. As a casual attender of such shows, the potential price tag on the camel's milk soap would deter me. Your potentially lower price right next door, would make me more open to your product.

Also, the camel's milk itself might be a little too exotic for some, especially compared to goat's milk, which is more well-known.

Have you "stalked" the camel milk soaper? I would take a look at what they offer (if they have a website or FB see what they make and sell) and then look at what you plan to offer. Too similar? I probably wouldn't do it. Completely different? I'd consider it. I've had to do this a few times when other soapers show up at "my" [ha!] shows. Most of the time we are worlds apart so I don't worry about it. For example, last summer I had a show where the other soaper got my VIP spot, when I checked her out though, we were completely different soaps - hers were very plain looking, no bright colors or swirls, a crazy hodgepodge of CP and HP, pretty basic scents. She went home on day 1 and didn't come back, and I had the best sales for that show.

If your price points are very different (assuming the camel milk soaper would have to charge more) I think it could work to your advantage to be near the camel milk soap maker. As a consumer already familiar with goat milk soap, I might buy one or two bars of the camel milk soap to see what it was like, but would buy the bulk of what I wanted from the goat milk soaper. If I wasn't familiar with handmade soap at all, who knows. There is the label appeal part, the looks part, the price point and the scent factoring into my decision. Everyone will have their own priorities.

When I used to do craft shows/markets and was positioned away from the other soap makers there, I would often hear "oh, I wish I had seen you before I bought from XX". I'm sure the others heard the same. In that size of a venue, people are less likely to walk through the whole thing before making a purchase of something they know they are going to buy. Smaller markets, it is so much easier to go back once you have seen what is available. At least that's how it is for me and those I go to the fairs/markets/craft shows with.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is, it isn't necessarily a bad thing to be somewhat near the other soap maker. Probably best to not be side by side, though.

@dibbles
When I used to do craft shows/markets and was positioned away from the other soap makers there, I would often hear "oh, I wish I had seen you before I bought from XX". I'm sure the others heard the same. In that size of a venue, people are less likely to walk through the whole thing before making a purchase of something they know they are going to buy. Smaller markets, it is so much easier to go back once you have seen what is available. At least that's how it is for me and those I go to the fairs/markets/craft shows with.

I've heard that more times than I care to mention. I do several large 2 day venues and there are generally 4-5 soap makers. I actually had a pair of ladies go back to another vendor asking to return their stuff. They wanted to purchase mine. Of course they were told no but they still came back to me. I like the customers who will go through the whole venue then come back. They always make sure to let me know.

They make me laugh but also makes me proud of my products.

I wouldn't object to being near the other soap maker, for the reasons already mentioned by others, but I'm not sure I'd want to be right next door. I wouldn't want my display to have any chance of being confused with the other person's display, so a little separation would be nice.

Between sweet goat baby pictures and you being the owner/breeder/milker/maker who also happens to be a local (selling to the points of difference) ... yeah, I'd say go for it! :)

If you can talk to the show co-ordinators and get at least one different sort of vendor between you, that would be good (it's ok to group, but not so great to put competitors so close that they spend all day listening to the other's patter ... :cool:).

I agree that striking up a friendly relationship with the camel milk soaper (if you can) could be beneficial - I've seen what could have been seen as "competitive" sellers do really well working together at events :)

Email the person in charge and ask if there are other spots available. Or ask if they make sure that 'Like' kind of sellers are seperated.
Tell them this is your 1st big show and you would LOVE to come but not if you would be next to another soaper (any kind of soaper- it isn't fair to either of you)

Back