Should uninsured hobbyist donate?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It was time to clear the racks of bits and pieces of soap, ugly vanilla bars (I officially give up on vanilla fo), good but fo faded bars, etc. Announced the purge neighbors and friends.

But I was contacted by someone who wants to donate my soap to adults with disabilities - including mental disabilities. They are of course always in financial need. Vulnerable people - some who can't listen/understand my lecture to test all soaps (like all products - handmade or commercial) on a small area of your skin first.

I'm a hobbyist and don't have insurance. Yes, I give soap to the Lost Boys of Sudan San Diego, but it's uncolored, unscented, lard and coconut only soaps which greatly reduces chance of reactions - plus they understand to test the soap on small area first.

But is it wise to donate to this vulnerable population?

I can't even give mine away. I have the same situation.. a grocery bag filled with odds and ends of ugly soap. I contacted two homeless shelters in my community to see if they could use them. One replied that they only use liquid soap but thank you; the other never even responded. Now what?

I think you're okay donating. I have done that before, not to people with known disabilities, but to local homeless and women's shelters. Since you're not taking money, your intentions are honest, and you generally know your soap to be safe, I doubt you'll land in trouble. It's hard to imagine what could go wrong, but then again we harp all the time here about liability.

But is it wise to donate to this vulnerable population?

Does this person have a specific group/organization in mind or are they just being helpful? If there is a specific group in mind then find out if there are specific requirements for donation.

The organization I work for happily accepts donations but liquid soap is generally much easier to use for lower functioning individuals and several higher functioning individuals have expressed preferences for liquid soap. If you can't find an organization near you the "doing good" thread had sources for donating soap

be particular with whom you gift to as there is an old adage for a reason...

no good deed goes unpunished

Please excuse my slightly pessimistic take away from the lovely sentiment of charitable gifting.

I'm donating mine, without insurance, to a local women's shelter. If you're really worried, you could donate it to that Clean the World or whatever it's called.

If you are worried about donating, then that, to me is your answer. Don't do it. If you have to hesitate or worry about your donation and the possibility of a law suit, it is not worth any benefit to the individual(s) that may benefit from your donation. Your mental health is worth more than any "good deeds" that may gained from your charitable donation. (FYI: I too am only a hobbyist; however, I opted to get insurance because I do give my soap to friends. Some of those friends share the soap with THEIR friends, whom I do not know. That is a risk for me, as a home owner, that I didn't want to take. I am far more comfortable now that I have the insurance and have branched out and given soap to casual acquaintances as well as friends.)

Thank you all for giving me so much to think about. I've decided to not donate without a waiver - or some other legal assurance. I can't help everybody and I've given more time and financial support for the underprivileged than I should have last year. I also need to take care of me - and that means not taking this chance with these vulnerable strangers who wouldn't be deciding for themselves to use or not use handmade soap.

Uh yeah. So glad I made the decision not to donate. I found out she serves some of the most disabled people - ones who would have no cognitive ability whatsoever to make an educated choice as to what product they use. I'll let those who have legal custody handle that responsibility.

Latest posts

Back