Should I wick up?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alfa_Lazcares

Reaction score
So I keep reading that you need to have a complete melt pool, but for some reason I cant get this one to make a full pool. This is parafin, and yes my wick is slightly off, but after several hours on two days, this is as far as it goes. Once the candle burns more I dont know if it will melt the sides, as some videos suggest. I am also not sure if this flame is okay. It looks fine to me, not too big, not too small and it doesnt really moves but I am new to candles so I’m not sure.
The other thought is to double wick it, but, isnt my container too small for that?
this is a coffee mug, excuse the paint on the side, I have used it as a tester for way too many things and its kinda ugly. It is about 7.5 cm wide.

Attachments

• 2C6D2747-3AD4-4BD6-8483-F53133BFC8BC.jpeg
    2C6D2747-3AD4-4BD6-8483-F53133BFC8BC.jpeg
    76.9 KB · Views: 9
  • E091690D-000D-4908-B411-EDDF446F8DF4.jpeg
    E091690D-000D-4908-B411-EDDF446F8DF4.jpeg
    79.4 KB · Views: 9
What specific wax did you use?
What wick is that?
What diameter candle does the wick manufacturer recommend that it be used for?
What other wicks do you have?

Once the candle burns more I dont know if it will melt the sides, as some videos suggest.
It depends.
Does the container taper down? If it tapers as it goes down and there is at least another 2 inches, I'd say it will catch up to itself. When testing it's always best to burn all the way down to the bottom of candle when it's burning "ok" for the most part (some tests you can tell right away if the wick is too big or too small)

How long has the candle been burning in the pic? If this has been burning for at least 4 hours, and the container doesn't taper down (hard to tell in the pic shown) then yes, you will probably want to wick up.

@Quanta
They only call it a “chinese parafin”, thats the only info I have, about the kind of wax it is. Though I have to say it is super translucent, it just got opaque because of an additive I also got that its supposed to help with throw. They just call it “Olimpia aditive” no clue whats in it.
Wick is a cotton wick, “M-26” and they recomend that size wick for that kind of wax and size of container.
I have paper wicks, wicks with metal core and wicks with coton core. Several sizes, i just got a bunch to test.

@jcandleattic no, it doesnt taper, and the candle was about 2/3 on that pic, so still had a long wat to go. Would you consider that an okay burn?

i had burned it for two days on that pic. First day for about 7 hours, second day for about 5, thats why I decided to ask, because it looked to me like it just wasnt gonna reach the sides.

but I burned it more yesterday, for another 5 ish hours and it got all the way to the sides, but the flame got a bit bigger and started to dance a bit. Not too bad, but it wasnt totally still. So now I dont know. The mug got hot, but you can totally touch it with no issues. I do plan to fully burn it, but i guess I’m still not sure what is normal and what not, its looking like I have a tiny bit of mushroming going on.

I guess my question is: if it keeps giving a full melt pool and the mushroming doesnt increase, should I stick with this wick even if its not “perfect”?

Attachments

• D2C88E84-8F1F-4E42-B510-EDC47CE360FA.jpeg
    D2C88E84-8F1F-4E42-B510-EDC47CE360FA.jpeg
    78.6 KB · Views: 7
  • EF735B75-58F4-4063-BAFC-1B5D7948C05C.jpeg
    EF735B75-58F4-4063-BAFC-1B5D7948C05C.jpeg
    78.3 KB · Views: 7
Back