Should I try to sell at a tiny FM where I live

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My hubby goes with me and carries my buckets, but it is getting increasingly hard for him with his neck problems. He did ask his Neuro Surgeon if he thought it might be causing him more damage and he did not believe so. At this point, his doctor is just keeping an eye on the progression of damage. At 71 we are facing the fact we will not be able to do this many more years. I can carry my soap crates but being a man he will not let me.

I had a gal from a spa and yoga salon ask if I would be interested in putting my soaps in her studio, so I will be considering it after the first of the year. I love making soap and will be needing another avenue if my husband gets to the point it is detrimental to him to help.

My hubby goes with me and carries my buckets, but it is getting increasingly hard for him with his neck problems. He did ask his Neuro Surgeon if he thought it might be causing him more damage and he did not believe so. At this point, his doctor is just keeping an eye on the progression of damage. At 71 we are facing the fact we will not be able to do this many more years. I can carry my soap crates but being a man he will not let me.

I had a gal from a spa and yoga salon ask if I would be interested in putting my soaps in her studio, so I will be considering it after the first of the year. I love making soap and will be needing another avenue if my husband gets to the point it is detrimental to him to help.
I sure hope your husband’s neck remains stable. Poor guy. My husband is simply totally uninterested in my soap endeavors. He came with me twice to “help”, complaining the whole time and talked me into setting up a single table behind my car instead of putting up my tent. So I’m pretty much on my own. The reason I was initially interested in the small FM was that it was under a permanent cover and they provided tables.

Any possibility of talking with the soap maker at the tiny market? I dont know if thats even appropriate....or how you would feel if she said Oh H###no....but she might say oh sure, great to have more variety here! Just a thought.?
I thought about it, but decided against selling there based on the manager’s apparent lack of knowledge (which mirrored my own) on booking vendors. Also, based on the sound advice I have received here and the gift from God of finding a great place for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
If there are a few craft fairs that are doable I would encourage you to try. I like fairs better than markets because I don't want the weekly attendance. I sell 5 weekends in the fall and that works out really nice in retirement (I am 69). If you haven't done any selling in a fair/market type venue you will be surprised at how much you learn from customers. If the cost is reasonable it is worth doing just for the education. It will broaden your ideas of good scents as well as being able to see how customers respond to color and names.

I’m a little intimidated by the craft fairs here. The Vintage Market, for example, is peer reviewed and I just don’t have the infrastructure (or physical ability) needed to set up an eye-catching display. I just delivered several batches of soap to sell on consignment at a local, high-end shop. I’ll probably stick with that if all goes well. Your insights and advice are much appreciated, however. Thank you so much, Lucycat!

I’m a little intimidated by the craft fairs here. The Vintage Market, for example, is peer reviewed and I just don’t have the infrastructure (or physical ability) needed to set up an eye-catching display. I just delivered several batches of soap to sell on consignment at a local, high-end shop. I’ll probably stick with that if all goes well. Your insights and advice are much appreciated, however. Thank you so much, Lucycat!

I’m 58 and back isn’t what it used to be and it doesn’t help that I’m 50lbs overweight. So I bought a a wagon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079TCDHDY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) with a net. The wagon is lightweight and folds up easily. I then cut a piece of craft paper the length and width of the cart, and with it, two bars of soap and with a measure tape, went to Wal-Mart and bought Sterling containers that would fit inside (and underneath) neatly and hold plenty of soap and other stuff.

For display, I am currently using a couple of 3-tiered counter spice racks that I got from the thrift store. One holds 2 bars each of 9 soaps and the other holds 2 bars each of 6 soaps. I recently ran across an expandable 3-tier rack that will almost double my display, without taking up more room in my cart. If I get four of them and set two on top a container in back, I’ll have 6 tiers on each side.

And one thing I do that I only saw one other person do at the craft fair, was to actual paper shopping bags...nice bright colored ones with my business card stapled to them.

- but some just want to smell the soap
Yup. I've said it before and I'll say it again, fragrance sells!
he's also bought from me because I inspire him.
Whatta guy! :thumbs: That's a super-duper way to befriend another soaper. :)

My advice: If t'were me, I would do both the shop and the FM just for the interaction and feedback you get from a face-to-face encounter. That experience is well worth the time and effort it takes to set up. Most of all, don't worry, HAVE FUN!

Last edited:
I’m 58 and back isn’t what it used to be and it doesn’t help that I’m 50lbs overweight. So I bought a a wagon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079TCDHDY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) with a net. The wagon is lightweight and folds up easily. I then cut a piece of craft paper the length and width of the cart, and with it, two bars of soap and with a measure tape, went to Wal-Mart and bought Sterling containers that would fit inside (and underneath) neatly and hold plenty of soap and other stuff.

For display, I am currently using a couple of 3-tiered counter spice racks that I got from the thrift store. One holds 2 bars each of 9 soaps and the other holds 2 bars each of 6 soaps. I recently ran across an expandable 3-tier rack that will almost double my display, without taking up more room in my cart. If I get four of them and set two on top a container in back, I’ll have 6 tiers on each side.

And one thing I do that I only saw one other person do at the craft fair, was to actual paper shopping bags...nice bright colored ones with my business card stapled to them.
That looks so much better than the suitcase I’m currently using. Thanks!

Re making your display attractive....I use little strings of mini lites.....I have a branch "jewelry tree" in a pot and have red rice lites weaving thru it- and salt bars in little organza bags hanging in it. Other baskets have clear lights, multicolor on the table, little tea lights. And bells...for Christmas...just some thoughts on how a table can get pretty...that and themed cloth napkins lining baskets instead of paper (if you use baskets)..very inexpensive and easy to do sitting down that makes a table nice imo.

Re making your display attractive....I use little strings of mini lites.....I have a branch "jewelry tree" in a pot and have red rice lites weaving thru it- and salt bars in little organza bags hanging in it. Other baskets have clear lights, multicolor on the table, little tea lights. And bells...for Christmas...just some thoughts on how a table can get pretty...that and themed cloth napkins lining baskets instead of paper (if you use baskets)..very inexpensive and easy to do sitting down that makes a table nice imo.
Those ideas all sound so pretty. What is difficult for me is putting up my tent and hauling bulky stuff like tables.

I am on market and there is a guy who brings everything (buys from others) what he see in my booth. He is a miserable SOB, I got more expensive booth to move away from him, my sales actually got better. Selling on market is hard job, I can only count on returning customers and my designs, The guy caries plain soaps

Back